Wednesday, October 4, 2017

GoldFish

One Liner: Dance electronica from the tip of South Africa.  Not too shy to sax it up.
Wikipedia Genre: Electronica, trip hop, downtempo, nu jazz, electro swing  (I wish I'd never read the term "nujazz," as its going to be stuck in my brain now and nothing good can come of it).
Spotify Says Similar To: Kraak & Smaak (dear Jesus, that is apparently really a group's name) and Jeremy Loops
Home: Cape Town, South Africa

Poster Position: none, new addition.

Slot: Sunday at 4:15 pm

Thoughts: This replaces Skip Marley, and although I likely wasn't going to go see Skip Marley anyway, I liked the fact that he would be here.  There was something reassuring about a bunch of rich college kids sparking up to a Marley.  Instead, you get some dance music action that is actually pretty snappy.  You won't find me on board with many electronic dance music duos, but I've actually enjoyed a few passes through this groups top ten songs.  Which includes a remix techno version thing of Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box that is kind of clever in its surprise factor (but blows in comparison to the original).  AND they actually have a bunch of music - 2009's Goldfish Perceptions of Pacha, 2010's Caught in the loop, 2010's Get busy living, and 2013's Three Second Memory.  This is not one of those electronic outfits with like 19 singles and no albums.  Interesting.  So, their top song, at 19.8 million streams, is "Games Continued - Radio Edit."  Get you some sax-age.
Uh, I wanna go to that festival.  Of course, if they let schlubs like me in, the whole thing would be ruined by my cargo shorts and trucker hat, not to mention the gallon of sunscreen I'd need for that boat trip, and so all the fly bikini girls would head for the next, better fest to avoid the gross old man.  SO WHAT!?  MORE YARDS OF DAIQUIRI FOR ME!  Not all the songs are so sax-forward, here is the top track from the most recent album, which is more of a chill electro track.
The title of the track is "Moonwalk Away," which only makes me think of the Eddie Murphy bit from Raw or Delirious where he is talking about how stupid the moonwalk is, because you ask a lady to dance with you and then you dance away from them.  Look at about 1:05:
Eddie Murphy used to be really damn funny.  Anyway, apart from that slight detour, that track is fine.  Nothing wonderful or life changing, just kind of a nice little chill session.  I'm sure these guys might be kind of fun to go jam out to in the Tito's tent, but I still think I'll choose Milky Chance.

No comments: