Wednesday, October 4, 2017

ACL 2017: Late Night Shows

Hola compadres!
(I've been "learning Spanish" via the DuoLingo app, and I bet I am about an eighth of one percent fluent by now, after about 50 lessons.  I'll be totally fluent by a month from now.  Then I'll be able to go fight at the United Nations like these guys.)

As you may or may not know, the ACL folks set up a bunch of "official" shows that take place after the festival each night.  The sound ordinance (and general good neighborliness) dictates that the festival shut down by ten each night, but that leaves plenty of time for all the kewl kidzz to keep partying down.  I make fun, but two of the aftershows I've seen in the past few years were freaking awesome - I think in part because I was already exhausted and inebriated by the time I walked in the doors, so my defenses were lowered - but Spanish Gold at Stubb's and Moon Taxi/Revivalists at The Parish were kick ass.

Anyhoo, what do we have this year that would interest yours truly?  Several shows are already sold out, so too bad for you.  Ryan Adams on 10/5, Whitney on 10/5, Rufus Du Sol (really?) on 10/7, Lukas Nelson on 10/11, Car Seat Headrest on 10/12, and Tank and the Bangas on 10/13, but that leaves loads of other shows that still have tickets for sale.

  • Friday 10/6: 
    • Run the Jewels at Stubb's outdoor on 10/6.  Would be salty!  Although, I bet that still has to cut off pretty early because it is outside and all.  Oh, and the ACL TV show taping by Run the Jewels on the 14th would be BAD ASS.
    • Benjamin Booker at the Parish on 10/6.
  • 10/7:
    • Portugal. The Man. at Stubb's outdoor on 10/7.
  • (I would rather sleep on a hammock made of barbed wire than go see Crystal Castles at Emo's on 10/11)
  • 10/12:
    • Middle Kids at Antone's (good venue for that band, I think)
    • Foster the People at Stubb's Outdoors.
    • Car Seat Headrest at Mohawk (although you'd need to scalp tickets)
  • 10/13:
    • Spoon at Stubb's Outdoors
There are a handful of artists on the late night show list that I don't recognize, I guess they are the Weekend Two only shows.  I don't see any of those that I absolutely MUST go see, but I might see if I can pull off the Spoon show on the 13th since I am likely going to skip their show in favor of good seats to see Cube and the Chilis.

No comments: