Thursday, October 7, 2021

ACL 2021: Weekend Two: Saturday Thoughts

So, last weekend, I'd say that the security was the worst on Saturday.  I don't know that if the same will be true second weekend, but the lines were much worse on Sat.  And the funny thing that you'll notice is that they'll tell you to put on your mask (for the first and only time) just right before they want to check your vaxx card and ID.  Saturday is also the most varied day, as far as musical styles go.

A few prelude thoughts for Saturday:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  Every once in a while they make me giggle too.
    • Honestly, sometimes those one liners are freaking hard to write.  Some of this music is super crazy forgettable and I just can't come up with anything useful to write.  "uhhh, another R&B lady with a pretty voice?"
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.
  • This day is significantly more full than Friday in terms of bands.  28 bands on Friday.  35 on Saturday.  That is weird.
  • The headliners have been pushed really far back this night too - Eilish doesn't even start until 8:30?  Last time, GNR started at 7:30.  Kind of lame to cut back her set to only an hour and a half.
  • The nice thing about weekend two is that y'all score some early things on Saturday that we didn't get weekend one.  I know the OU game is this weekend, but my advice is to get in there early today and then use a non-ATT phone to watch the game.

Playlist!

Here we go:

12:05

Miller Lite
WiztheMC: German rapper with English confessional lyrics
BMI
Gigi: One chilled guitar tune - pretty good!
VRBO
Mike Melinoe: Local rapper making art rap and odd electronic music
 Tito's    
Disciples of Christ: Four gospel ladies from Houston (not the rap group, the hardcore metal group, or the world music group)
T-Mobile   
Jade Bird: Beautifully voiced indie Americana from England but now in Austin

It is honestly offensive to me that Jade Bird is being presented at noon like some local thing that needs help.  She's an absolutely amazing singer who needs so much more love (not that the local radio doesn't play her all the time).  But what I am saying is that you should go check her out first thing and then watch the dumb football game later.

12:50/1:00
Honda
Frances Forever: Bedroom pop singer with a viral TikTok hit
Tito's
The Tender Things: Country with a heavy dose of great southern rock.
Lady Bird
Holly Humberstone: Great English indie singer who makes me think of Maggie Rogers.



Again, what is happening here?  While the two ladies are lovely in their own way, the Tender Things are an actually rad, full-fledged band who should be playing at the 5pm slot instead of mired down here with the TikTok stars.

1:35
Miller Lite
Gracie Abrams: Lo-fi bedroom pop of confessional lyrics from JJ Abrams daughter
BMI
Leyla Blue: Powerful voiced, soulful pop lady with a great kiss-off song
VRBO
Arlie: Bedroom indie pop guys from Nashville who make me think of the bad segment of Arctic Monkeys
T-Mobile    
Aaron Frazer: The secondary singer for Durand Jones and the Indications



Just a tough hour right there.  I guess, if I had to go do one of them, it would be Arlie.  Aaron Frazer has some of that neo-soul thing going, and Leyla has one legit killer song.  But I'd probably go with Arlie.  But none of these struck any sort of chord with me.

2:00/2:20
Honda
Surfaces: Feel good pop heavy on steel drum and with that "Sunday Best" song.
Tito’s Tent
LP Giobbi: Local EDM lady whose name makes me think of the Sopranos and snot.
Lady Bird
Girl in Red: Extra-confessional bedroom pop



None of those are must-sees for me either.  My kids would want to see Surfaces in a heartbeat, so I may wander over there because of them, but I am interested to see the Girl in Red thing as well.  I guess I'll probably aim her way?

Last weekend, I chose Surfaces, and to be honest, when they play "Sunday Best," it is a moment.  The crowd goes wild, and the song kinda rules.  It was cool.

3:20
Miller Lite
White Reaper: Glammy, fun rock and roll with a great live show
VRBO
Samantha Sanchez: Spanish-language pop
BMI
Charlie Crockett: If Hank Williams Sr. liked to get soulful and bluesy every once in a while.
T-Mobile
Remi WolfFormer American Idol contestant who loves vocal effects despite a strong voice.               
Titos                                La Dona: Spanish language reggaeton lady with a great voice.

Y'all.  White Reaper is the truth.  I've seen them twice now and they are supremely fun rock and roll.  Their synth player (Ryan, apparently) is a primo goofball who makes the shows even better.  You should check it out.  If you are inclined towards country/americana instead of rock, then Charlie Crockett is also the real deal.

4:20
Honda
Future Islands: Indie synth pop band who apparently loves OMD
Tito’s Tent
070 Shake: Depressing auto-tuned R&B lady.
Lady Bird
Phoebe Bridgers: Melancholy indie rock music that still rules.



Simple.  Bridgers in a landslide.  Future Islands had some cool tunes, but I want to see Bridgers.  That being said, I watched Bridgers last weekend, and I was honestly disappointed.  Her music is absolutely wonderful - I truly enjoy it - but the massive-crowd-festival-world-environment just means that it doesn't work at all.  She even joked about herself and said "here's another mid-tempo jam for you."  Still, my advice would be to go to her show, sit on the grass, and relax while her sad ass lyrics wash over you.

I'm honestly still mad at myself for not loving her show.  I went back to my office on Monday and played all of her songs again as a penance.  But the honest truth is that her show would be amazing in a small room, and they just don't hit at a festival.

5:20
Miller Lite
Arizona Zervas: Massively viral "ROXANNE" song, ends up kinda Post Malone-ish
BMI
Raiche: R&B gal and one good sample of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes.
VRBO
Missio: Annoyingly hip electronic pop
T-Mobile
Freddie Gibbs: The best pure rapper at the Festival.



Easy pick here too with Freddie Gibbs on the bill.  Dude can absolutely flow.  Missio and Arizona are actively terrible.  Raiche is okay.  If I'm being honest, Gibbs was a tough show last week because all he does is flow his bad ass off.  The show is kind of low energy, unless you like yelling "fuck police" over and over.  Some kid next to me yelled to me about why I wasn't yelling along.  I very soberly said I was a cop and glared at him.  He was not scared of me in the slightest.

6:20
Honda
Modest Mouse: Delightfully weirdo alternative rock
Tito’s Tent
The Hu: Mongolian metal?  I have no clue.
American Express
Doja Cat: Top shelf raunchy pop with raps that sound like Nicki Minaj

This is a fun hour.  When I started my reviews this year, I had Doja Cat as a zero on my ratings from one to ten, but after really giving her a shot, I liked her.  Kinda fun.  The Hu are going to be weird as hell and maybe awesome as well.  If they could have been during one of those unimpressive slots earlier in this day, I would have done that in a heartbeat just to check it out.  But in the end I'll want to go see Modest Mouse play.  They're legit.

And their show during weekend one was a highlight of Saturday.  Not even kidding, it was awesome.

7:20
Miller Lite
Jack Harlow: Goofy looking white kid who metamorphized into a legit rapper
VRBO
Dayglow: Great bubblegum rock from an ex-UT student
T-Mobile
Alison Wonderland: Massive EDM dance booms from an Aussie lady DJ

Dayglow would have been an easy choice for me before this new album, but I don't love the new direction.  So I'll probably go with Harlow and see what the kids are talking about these days and be the old guy back there yelling "WHATS POPPIN!!!"  Wonderland might be fun too - I guess we could do a 1-2 punch and see Wonderland and then Rufus.  We'll need glow sticks and drugs.

Harlow, from a stage over, sounded pretty weak.  But I had friends who were up in it, and they said it was good times.

HEADLINERS:
Honda
Rufus Du Sol: Good dance house tunes from Sydney
Tito's
Lady Bird
Billie Eilish: Dark pop phenom at only 19 years old.

Rufus.  Or maybe call it a night and just head out to get a cheap drink at the house?  I definitely don't want to do Eilish again.  That show a few years ago was not my favorite experience.  But I definitely hope that everyone at the Fest wants to experience that same show again, but with some new lounge music songs from her new album, so that they leave my side of the Park alone.

Last week, my buddy and I did Rufus, and it was surprisingly fun.  If you liked the music from the Matrix and the music from Stranger Things, then you'll be all in on this weirdo dance stuff.  Fun anecdote for you - my dad asked how last weekend went.  One time, I interviewed my dad for school and asked him his favorite band when he was growing up, and he was like, "uh, nothing, I just worked."  When I massaged him for an answer, he told me "Joan Baez, by the time I was in medical school."  But when I dig deeper, I think he never knew a single song, he just said that because she was famous back then.  So, when I told him that the band I saw was electronic music, he was like "WTF?"  After I explained that it was loops and samples and synths that people danced to, he was like "what dance?"  And I realized exactly how old I sound to my children.  Dammit.  Anyway, I never want to see Billie again.  If you do, knock yourself out, but I'd consider watching Donald Trump singing showtunes before I'd go back into Billie's crowd.

No comments: