Thursday, October 7, 2021

ACL 2021: Weekend Two: Sunday Thoughts

Sunday baby!  Sunday can be tough, but last weekend, this was my favorite day!  If you like rock and roll, then this is your day (except they pulled White Reaper and moved it to Saturday).  But if you've been going hard for two straight days already, it can be hard to get up and moving with the same verve and excitement as the past two days.  And that is especially true when the schedule is packed and you need to get there for something first thing.  Last time, we were there right when the gates opened so that we could catch cleopatrick's set.  Which was soooooo hot.  And supremely awesome as well.  They rule.  But as of right now, it looks like Sunday will be 95 degrees, so welcome to hell! 

A few prelude thoughts for Sunday:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  Every once in a while they make me giggle too.
    • Honestly, sometimes those one liners are freaking hard to write.  Some of this music is super crazy forgettable and I just can't come up with anything useful to write.  "uhhh, another R&B lady with a pretty voice?"
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.
  • Friday remains the empty day for first weekend - 28 bands on Friday.  35 on Saturday and Sunday.  That is jenky.
  • Only an hour for Duran Duran?  That is some BS.  How you gonna give Miley Cyrus an hour and a half and stiff the 80's kings?
So, this playlist is slightly different than my norm, as I'm trying to use it to convince my teenage daughter to come to my side of the music discussion.  Y'all be cool.

Here we go:

11:45/12:15

Miller Lite
Nane:  Local soulful rock action that reminds me of Alabama Shakes
BMI
Zach Person: Blues rock goodness in the vein of Gary Clark Jr.
VRBO
BLK Odyssy: Austin rapper with only one track 
   

T-Mobile   
Payday: Cringey teenage female rapper

Weird.  I can't think of a Sunday morning lineup for ACL where the Gospel spot was empty.  They've had all sorts of gospel going on in these slots, but now it is empty during a pandemic?  I could pretty much get a church choir here in 20 minutes if they wanted?  Weird.  Anyway, while BLK Odyssy has recently been written up by the Chronicle, I'd for sure go see Nane.  They legit rule.  Also, Payday is terrible.  I think she is the third worst thing at the Fest.  Maybe second...

1:00
Honda
Serena Isioma: Non-binary bedroom pop, rap, and R&B
Tito's
Calder Allen: Complete mystery
Lady Bird
Jessie Murph: Generic pop singer voice girl



Nope.  If I had to pick one, I would pick Allen.  Last week, the Chronicle or Austin 360 or someone with access to information published an article showing that Allen is the grandson of Texas singer/songwriter royalty Terry Allen, so of course he gets a stage despite having anything out to hear.  He also had Charlie Sexton and a Dixie Chick on stage with him, so it's not even fair, really.  Go check it out.

1:45
Miller Lite
Amber Mark: Soul pop and R&B like Norah Jones tried to make modern pop 
BMI
Mattiel: Tasty, raw rock that sounds a little like White Stripes, a little like Nico, and very classic.
VRBO
Noga Erez: Dime store Billie Eilish (which I know is rude)


T-Mobile
Kennyhoopla: Blink182-ish pop punk guy.

I guess KennyHoopla is good and I'd just imagine I was watching Blink back in the day.  And honestly, Erez is kind of interesting (and my one liner is rude) because while she does have one popular song that sounds like Eilish, she also has some interesting electronic stuff that is more her own.  So you can angle to her stage if you want experimental electronic stuff.  But also, while Mattiel is super weird, I would probably go see her if this is the hour.

2:30
Honda
AG Club: Rapper collective that reminds me of Brockhampton 
Tito’s Tent
Shiela: English/Spanish bedroom R&B from a local
Lady Bird
Tate McRae: YouTube star making pop after rising to fame from her dancing



Weird.  Last weekend, AG was up against a bunch of other stuff.  If I were advising my kid, I'd say go see McRae, but if I'm advising everyone else, I'd say go get up close for AG Club and have some fun in your life.

3:15/3:30
Miller Lite
Cautious Clay: Deeply groovy alternative R&B guy who I actually like
VRBO
Cam: Pop country singer, more on the pop end now, with a great voice
BMI
Superfonicos: Funky afro-funk from south of the border
T-Mobile
Toosii:     Heavily auto-tuned rapper and singer who I've already forgotten while typing this sentence.         
Titos                                Ant Clemons: R&B singer who got his break with Kanye West

Superfonicos.  This is just a wasteland of music on this day.  But those guys know how to crank up the fun Latin sounds.  If you hate Latin people, then I guess Cautious Clay?  I heard Toosii from far away and he was pretty terrible.

4:30
Honda
Polo G: Melodic Chicago rapper getting honest in his lyrics.
Tito’s Tent
Lunay: Reggaeton guy
Lady Bird
Band of Horses: Laid back rock forever.



Band of Horses for sure.  I tried Polo G again today and just don't get it.  I know he has a zillion streams, but it's just not great.  The Chronicle talked about Polo's first weekend show and explained that he just did about 4 songs and then wandered off to let his hype guy fill the hour.  I do not respect that.  Still, my daughter will go watch his jenky ass.

5:30
Miller Lite
Chris Lake: Another EDM guy making EDM guy stuff.
BMI
David Ramirez: Austin Americana and lovely spirituals
VRBO
Channel Tres: Mellow rapper who also happens to do some techno?  Yeah.
T-Mobile
Marc Rebillet: Comedic electronic YouTuber



I don't love this hour, but a friend told me that Channel Tres was very good?  I watched some of Marc Revillet last week and it was awful.  Unless you love dick jokes, this isn't your stage.  So, if I didn't pick Tres, then I'd go for Ramirez.  Honestly, if he'd just play those gospel songs on his most recent album, I'd be deeply pleased.

6:30
Honda
Karol G: Very popular Reggaeton artist singing in Spanish.
Tito’s Tent
Trixie Mattel: Lovely Americana from a drag queen
American Express
Greta Van Fleet: If Led Zeppelin and Rush had babies and they rocked

Van Fleet for sure.  I'm excited to see them again.

That being said, Trixie Mattel absolutely intrigues me.  She looks like she is about to sing some discofied version of a Ru Paul song, but when she sings, its the man under the makeup with the lovely voice.  I just experienced a weird happy hour trying to explain this whole thing while one of my childhood best friends (who is gay and understands drag in a way I will never get to) just looked on in bemused annoyance.  But the fact is that if you don't want to hear rad rock, then you should go see Trixie.  Her version of Blister in the Sun is amazing.

Also, if I'm being honest, this time slot sucks.  She should be earlier so that she could blow the garbage 2pm stuff out of the water.  In this highly popular slot, it seems like she'll get wiped out?

Because I'll go see Greta again for sure.

7:30
Miller Lite
Madeon: Another EDM guy making EDM guy stuff.
VRBO
Tierra Whack: Philly rapper with those tiny tracks now making good long raps
T-Mobile
John Batiste: Jazzy pianist who makes purely fun music and plays with Stephen Colbert's Late Show

Man, this is big time different from last weekend.  Last weekend was a St. Vincent vs. Erykah Badu thing in the Chronicle, with poor Tierra Whack given third world status (despite her probably being the best of the three).  This week, Vincent has buggered off to wherever she makes her weird things, and Badu was Friday night.  So instead you get generic EDM, a crazy good rapper, or the guy who plays on the Late Show but also inspired and wrote songs in Pixar's Soul.  I liked Whack when I've seen her, but I'm also drawn to Batiste.  His tunes are fun as hell.

HEADLINERS:
Honda
Duran Duran: Classic 80's power pop rock band with amazing videos
Tito's
Lady Bird
Tyler, the Creator: Very odd rapper, singer, and weirdo

Y'all, Duran Duran ruled last weekend.  They've still got the chops.  And sexay dance moves! The whole thing was super fun.  We got close, so everyone around us was old and sang along.  We never wandered over to the other side of the park to see what Tyler is doing once Duran is over.  I don't hate his stuff, but it certainly isn't going to beat out seeing Duran Duran.  If I see Duran again this weekend, maybe I'll see the last few Tyler songs when trying to retrieve my daughters.

No comments: