Friday, October 6, 2023

ACL 2023: Weekend One: Saturday Schedule Thoughts!

I have tried to reduce some of the bloat in these schedule posts so that you can just get the goods.  I think I am going to make a separate place to find playlists and other thoughts about the days.  Click the name link to find out more about each artist.

They shuffled this up a little, so now some of these hours have gotten harder!

Saturday, Weekend One:

11:45/12:00
Miller Lite
empty now
BMI
Patrick Martin: Perfectly pleasant pop rock that feels like The 1975 b-sides
IHG
Gus Clark: Throw-back country and Americana done really well.
Tito's
Die Spitz: Thrashing punky grunge from some Nirvana-loving Austin gals
T-Mobile    
Arya: One of four artists that share this name

Hard choice here to be honest.  If I am in the park this early on a Saturday, it would just have to come down to mood.  Die Spitz is probably my favorite thing of all of these, but BigX sounds totally badass as well, and Gus Clark feels like a perfect starting act for a relaxed day of tunes.  Leaning Spitz, but not locked in.

12:30/12:45
Honda
Mac Saturn: Danceable, soulful rock and roll throwback
Tito's (12:45)    
Shooks: Local rock that sounds like UK alternative
Kiddie (12:45)
Sonia de los Santos: Spanish (mostly) action for the Kiddies
AmEx
BigXThaPlug: Laconic rapper with some brawny beats

That is some cold-blooded stuff.  We have a very limited number of good rock and roll bands coming to the dang festival, and you stack three of the best ones against each other in a little pile?  Weak sauce.  I think Wunderhorse is my choice, but I really liked the other two as well.

[EDIT - they yanked Wunderhorse, we don't get those lads anymore.  I guess I'd lean Shooks now?]

1:15
Miller Lite 
Yaya BeyOutspoken R&B artist making tiny tunes with nastay lyrics.
BMI
Serayah: Actress turned rapper/R&B singer with some pretty solid results
IHG (1:30)
Eddie Zuko: Spanglish rap and reggae sounds mashed together.
T-Mobile
Abby Sage: Low key Billie Eilish-esque alt-pop



Seriously.  They couldn't put one of the rock bands into this hour?  This hour is butt.  I guess I go with Sage over the others, but I'm not sure it matters much.

1:45 / 2:00
Honda (2)
Jessie Ware: Big-voiced sophisti-pop and disco-fied R&B
Tito’s Tent (1:45)
Angel WhiteSemi-countrified black dude with a confusing name
Kiddie (2:30)
Tim Kubart: His Wikipedia says he is also known as Tambourine Guy.
American Express
Declan McKenna: Fun, bright, poppy rock that sometimes gets political

McKenna for sure here - I'm listening to him again right now and it is just a fun time.

3:00
Miller Lite
Ben Kweller: Piano heavy indie rock in the Ben Folds vein
BMI
Husbands: Laid-back indie rock from a group of great moustaches
IHG (3:15)
Amaarae: The most annoying thing I can think of on the poster, but with fun Afrobeat grooves
Tito's
Calder AllenSolid singer-songwriter type with chill tunes and a good pedigree
T-Mobile
Gus Dapperton: Underwhelming bedroom pop music by weird haircut

Kweller is the easy answer for me - I feel like he is super underrated.  Calder Allen is actually really good as well, but I'd like to see Kweller play live.

4:00
Honda
Rina Sawayama: Super catchy pop that gave me Gaga vibes
Tito’s Tent
Christone "Kingfish" Ingram: Real-deal guitar-slinging blues
Kiddie (4:30)
Smith & Yarn: hippie kiddie
American Express
Mt. Joy: Pleasantly anonymous indie rock with good lyrics

I've gone back and listened to some more Mt. Joy and I like it more and more.  Kingfish sounds badass, and Rina is actually better than I would have expected from a pure pop star, but I'd likely choose Joy.

5:00
Miller Lite
Poolside: Daytime Disco is what they call it, but I'm not along for the ride.
BMI
Shaed: That one Apple commercial song, no not that one, yeah, that one.
IHG (5:15)
Coi Leray: Lady rapper biting everyone else's thing.
T-Mobile
Tanya Tucker: She's a classic country star, but I don't recognize much of this.



A definitely varied hour.  Shaed is kind of generic electro-pop.  Poolside is kind of the same.  Leray is forgettable for me but likely will be packed with kids wanting to mosh.  I guess I would lean into seeing country music royalty out of these choices, but none of them feel like a must-see for me personally.

6:00
Honda
Thirty Seconds to Mars: Increasingly more operatic alt rock from Jared Leto's band with his brother
Tito’s Tent
Chromeo: Party funk disco good times
American Express
Alanis Morissette: The biggest post-grunge hitmaker still out there teaching people about irony

Funny.  Looking at this today, I honestly feel like Chromeo would be the most fun thing to do in the slot.  30 Seconds feels like it will be a slog of Jared Leto posing on stage.  Morissette feels destined to be disappointing.  I should probably go see Alanis, but I have a feeling that Jason is going to talk me into 30 Seconds.

7:00
Miller Lite
Bob Moses: Chilly electro that sure seems out of place at ACL
IHG
Tove Lo: That "Stay High All The Time" electropop girl
T-Mobile
Noah Kahan: Gentle indie pop-rock with a lovely voice and non-real Irish accent

I had a weird thought today when the radio played INXS, wondering if I would love them as much as I do if they came out today.  Or if I would hear them and be like "ugh, pop rock with a thin guitar loop on every song."  Weird to consider.  Anyway, it is Kahan for me in a landslide here.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8)
Shania Twain: The Queen of Country Pop
Tito's
AmEx (8)
Foo Fighters: Probably the most perfect arena-rock singalong band of all time

Foos.  Easy choice.  Shania could be entertaining (assuming her teflon voice can hold up) but the Foos are the thing I am most excited about for this whole Festival.

No comments: