Wednesday, October 14, 2015

ACL 2015: Guest Post for Saturday Weekend Two

Frequent commenter and avid dulljack fan Joseph made it out for Saturday of Weekend Two and gave me his thoughts on his day for sharing here on the blog.  Sounds like a good day of mostly music I saw, except that he got to do Modest Mouse, which sounds sweet. Enjoy!

My quick analysis (on a relatively short day…I don’t know how you do 3 days in a row…you are my hero).  While we were on the festival grounds for just 6 hours, I have a lot of thoughts about things:

We set up in the outer belt of chairs at the Honda stage for Father John Misty at 1:40 or so, and thus could hear San Fermin at the neighboring stage.  My thoughts of the day in fairly chronological order:
  • San Fermin – Perfectly average band who thinks they are awesome.  If their talent and/or songwriting ever catches up to their confidence, they will be bigger than U2.  I mean, they thought they were KILLING IT…and they were – meh.  Kudos to them though.
  • Wait…UT is beating OU? What?
  • Father John Misty – it was a 50/50 comedy/singing show.  I haven’t laughed that hard at someone in between songs in a long time…complete elitist and snob who I want to be best friends with.  His music was powerful and fantastic live.  Huge fan.
  • UT BEAT OU? What the f?
  • Houndmouth – I think seeing them right after Father John Misty hurt my enjoyment at first, just b/c Misty has SUCH a powerful, gorgeous voice.  The Houndmouth singers are pleasant, but not powerful…so they kind of paled right off the bat.  Once I stopped comparing their voices in my head though, I really enjoyed the show.  Very fun music and “Sedona” was great live to hear everyone singing along.  Fun band.
  • Girls are not wearing very many clothes as we walk back to Honda.  Stay on target. Stay on target.
  •  Sturgill Simpson – How have I not been listening to this guy all of the time?  My new favorite country artist.  We loved him and I want to high five him all the time.
  • Walk the Moon – We went to get food after Simpson (East Side King….holy hell, so good) and actually got in line at the beer tent right behind mutual friends of Jack and I.  Small world!  But as we were walking back to our chairs, it was a battle to get there through the MASS of people gyrating to Walk the Moon. People were losing their freaking minds and singing along to, let’s face it, boring ass mediocre pop music. It’s fine and completely forgettable.  I mean, they are better than Maroon 5 and Train, but so are most street buskers.  Yet, people were going nuts as if it was a surprise Kanye concert. My point is, I hate people.
  • Modest Mouse – Put on a great show! Lots of stuff from their last 2 albums and Good News for People Who Love Bad News.  Since I’m a sap, I started crying during “Float On” because I was thinking about Clancy (and it’s one of my 5 favorite songs of all time anyway) [ed. note: Joseph's dog Clancy is amazing, but sadly not long for this world].  One of my favorite bands and a good show.  Plus some girl was literally crying in the first row the ENTIRE show, which was pretty amusing too.

Our plan was to stay for TV on the Radio and then leave, but we were tired (boys have not been sleeping well) [ed. note: Joseph made twins with his wife and now has to suffer the consequences], and decided to beat the lines for Uber and head out.  Gave our wristbands to some teens outside and made their night, then got home just in time to put the boys to bed, and then watch old shows for a few hours.

Good, good day.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I would like to add that I was also pretty drunk.