Friday, October 30, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 53 (Chemical Brothers, Jason Isbell, Iron & Wine with Ben Bridwell, Wilco)

It is raining like crazy in Austin today - makes me think I need to do a post on good rainy day weather music.  I'm going with old Whiskeytown today, but I need to let the idea percolate for a while before I make any pronouncement.

Chemical Brothers - Born in the Echoes.  Look, some old Chemical Brothers is awesome.  That song they used in Vanilla Sky - "Where Do I Begin" - is amazing.  Crazy long and this really cool transition from a spare electro hymn to a banging jam.  And several of their older tracks are fun block rocker dance tunes.  Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole, those are what I remember fondly. This finds the Brothers right where those others have left off and keeps the same thrumming bass heavy sound. My favorite track is the Q-Tip assisted "Go," which is reminiscent of the Q-Tip joint on Push the Button, called "Galvanize."  Q-Tip is the man.  That being said, I've listened to this album about ten times by now, and could care less if I ever do that again.

Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free.  I never have really listened to the Drive By Truckers.  I remember seeing them play a raucous and fun show at ACL a few years back, but I couldn't actually name a single song they sing.  Isbell was their lead singer, and if this album is any indication, a hell of a songwriter.  This stuff is legit, hard-scrabble stories of folks getting by over fine Americana tunes.  I think I've heard "Life You Chose" before, maybe on the radio, but if not, then this is the one that should be played on the radio because it sticks in your mind.
Sounds like a great Ryan Adams song.  The title track, "Hudson Commodore," and "24 Frames" are also good keepers on this one.  I dig it.  I think I need to go backwards in his catalog and see what else is going on back there.

Iron & Wine and Ben Bridwell - Sing into my Mouth.  Iron & Wine is a wonderful thing for me, I love the gentle folky sound of Sam Beam's tunes, and Bridwell's main band, Band of Horses, has a pretty similar vibe that should shine with I&W's sound.  I think it works well here, with a pretty sleepy, shuffling set of relaxed and pretty folky Americana.  That said, nothing here sticks to your bones, it is all just a lovely little trip through a chill spot on the map.  Good music, but I doubt I'm going to keep it.

Wilco - Star Wars.  Wilco has always been a weird band for me.  Some of their stuff is great (Being There, the Mermaid Avenue albums with Billy Bragg), some has been anointed as great for decades but I just don't get (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost is Born), and some is super boring and lame (Sky Blue Sky).  I know all the Pitchfork and Spin acolytes will call for my head for a lack of complete and total reverence for YHF, but I bought it when it came out and have heard it many times by now but I just don't connect with any of it.  I guess "Heavy metal drummer" is pretty tight?  I always feel inadequate when the subject of Wilco is introduced to a conversation, or I see that someone used a Wilco song for the first dance at their wedding.  Maybe I'm not deep enough.
This disc kicks off with a rock and roll instrumental and then shifts into a slinky 70's rocker called "More..."  And that sets the stage for much of this album, it is light on the old school Americana that I enjoy the most from them, and heavy on a light 70's rock sound with a touch of swagger.  Here is the most popular track from the album, "Random Name Generator."


I think I'd like to see them live so that I can figure myself out.  This album has grown on me over time, and I think it will continue to do so - the lyrics of Wilco are why people stick around - as I continue to pick up on the nuances of what Tweedy is saying.  We'll see.
I also have to make sure that you have seen the cover of this album, to appreciate the oddball weirdness of having an album named Star Wars, that then has this cover:



Image result for wilco star wars cover

Yep.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I have never been happier about any review that you've done than the one on Wilco. I think they are the ultimate mediocre white person band. I don't get it. Random Name Generator is a boring, borderline sucky song.

I
Do
Not
Understand
Their
Appeal