Thursday, January 5, 2017

Governor's Ball 2017 Lineup

Well, this appears to be the season for me to feel depressed about big festival lineups, huh?  The Governor's Ball lineup came out today, and while this is not one of the big four festivals, they have recently had pretty solid lineups of big artists that have made me feel jelly about people up in NYC. This time, not so much.  Although the list is bottom heavy and gets better after the headliners.

Big Three Headliners: Tool, Chance the Rapper, and Phoenix.  Wow.  I mean, I have a tender place in my heart for the mid-90's anger rock of Tool, and I remember liking Phoenix well enough when they came to ACL and played songs from that 2009 album about Mozart or whatever, but really? These are two of the top line folks?  Tool seems like the kind of band that would be touring red state State Fairs with Korn, Kid Rock, and the one Blink 182 guy who isn't in the band anymore.  Maybe I've missed out on some Tool renaissance in the interim.  That being said, I'd go see them play for sure and jam all my college age aggression out all over those around me.  FORTY SIX AND TWO!!! Chance's new record is great, but I'm still surprised to see him at the top of a poster.

Next Nine:

  • Childish Gambino.  His new album is God level stuff and I want to see him RIGHT NOW.
  • Lorde.  Again, is she back?  Are we just going to sing "Tennis Courts" and "Royals" some more?
  • Flume.  Actually not terrible edm that played ACL last year.
  • Wu Tang Clan.  Hell yes.  So long as it is really the whole (living) Clan.
  • Wiz Khalifa.  overrated and terrible.
  • Logic.  I've recently reviewed his new album, good flow.
  • Cage the Elephant.  Great band.
  • Marshmello.  Apparently some dipswitch trying to copy the mousehead guy by wearing a marshmallow on his head.
  • Mark Ronson vs. Kevin Parker.  Dude.  I don't know what this really means, but if they mean that the Tame Impala guy and the "Uptown Funk" guy will fight each other with sound, this sounds amazing.

So, 3 I'd want to see for sure, three I'm maybe on board with, and 3 I don't want to watch.

Best of the Rest:  This is where the lineup actually gets interesting.  Schoolboy Q, The Avalanches, The Head & the Heart, Franz Ferdinand (how are these guys not in the Phoenix spot here?), A$AP Ferg, Local Natives, YG, ROYAL FREAKING BLOOD, Charles Bradley, Warpaint, Car Seat Headrest, and the Strumbellas.  There is enough known stuff on this poster to make me think it would be fun.  Now, if they'd just replace Phoenix with Beyonce, and call it Coach's Ball, then I"M IN!

No comments: