Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Coachella 2017 Lineup

Really?  Is this the feeling of finally aging out of festivals?  Is this when my love for music festivals dies a small, quiet death, at the hands of Goldenvoice?  The Coachella lineup was announced yesterday, and it feels like a pretty big let down from one of the big four festivals.  

Three Headliners: Radiohead, Beyonce, and Kendrick Lamar.  Well, I'll admit readily that I'd go see Beyonce.  I'm curious to see what all the noise is about, even if I don't listen to the music regularly. And I was pumped to see Kendrick and Radiohead last year, but didn't all of the festivals already have those two headline last year?  Not that exciting, but I will say that all three of those are at least legit headliner material who should be headlining these shows. That is a plus, even if their timing is bad.

Second Liners in Large, Bold Text:

  • The xx.  No clue.  They have a song on Spotify with 165 MILLION listens that is an instrumental chill out.  How are these people a #2 for a day band?
  • Travis Scott.  Lame rap (except that "Antidote" makes me want to flex my biceps and eat nails).
  • Father John Misty.  Amazing.
  • Empire of the Sun.  No clue.
  • Dillon Francis. lame edm.
  • Bon Iver.  Weird electro stuff on the new album, but I'd give him a shot.
  • Future.  The worst.
  • DJ Snake.  TURNDOWNFORWHAT?  Lame.
  • Martin Garrix.  generic edm
  • Schoolboy Q.  Bad ass.
  • Gucci Mane.  Yawn, bad rap.
  • Lorde.  We'll see what the new music is like, otherwise, not that exciting to hear pop crossover hits from 3 years ago.
  • Justice.  edm.
  • New Order.  maybe fun for nostalgia purposes, but after "Blue Monday" and "Bizarre Love Triangle," what to do then?
  • Porter Robinson & Madeon.  Listened for ACL last year, nah.
  • Future Islands. indie electro.
So that would be two of sixteen that I'd for sure want to see, and three maybes.  Pretty terrible for artists on that level of a poster.

Cool stuff from the rest of the poster:  I'd go see King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard on day one, otherwise that day is dead to me.  Saturday, in addition to Beyonce and Schoolboy, offers the best other stuff, with The Head & the Heart, Two Door Cinema Club, Local Natives, the Avalanches, Warpaint, and Car Seat Headrest.  But it also includes Tory Lanez, which is the worst.  Sunday gets Toots & the Maytals and Real Estate, but otherwise is pretty barren.  

Now, that is what I'm saying without ever having heard of more than half of this stuff, they may end up being great, but there is no way in hell I'd buy tickets to go see this festival.  I'm all for some musical discovery, but I also want some great, undeniable stuff that I have to go hear.  Hell, if someone gave me tickets I wouldn't pay for the flight out there.  This is a disappointment.

No comments: