Saturday, January 28, 2017

Books from 2016

I obviously listen to too much freaking music.  I get that.  One thing that I really want to do in 2017 is increase the amount of pleasure reading I do in any given day, because on top of the mountains of music I consume, I also watch a bunch of TV or movies in the late night hours of the day.  So, with that in mind, I'm going to commit (to myself) to reading at least one book a month, and I'll make a note on here about the book and whether it was worth a read.  But, before I get to that, I'll give a short mention to what I read last year.

In no particular order (other than memory of what I read):
  1. Scar Tissue, the biography of Anthony Keidis.  I mentioned this one before, but it is a great read.  Sometimes gets bogged down in drug history, and it is most definitely not written by someone with a PhD in English composition, but I found it fascinating. Much debauchery, sex, drug use, and people being extremely patient with Keidis.  My favorite part of the whole thing were the portions where he explained the genesis or meaning of songs.  And I love the Chilis, so this one ranks highly on my list of books enjoyed last year.
  2. Drew Magary - The Hike.  I love Magary's writing on Deadspin, so this was a no-brainer to read.  Kind of like a modern Stephen King novel translated through an arcade game, where you're never sure who is what and the protagonist escapes issues by solving puzzles, its a super quick and fun read.  I liked it a lot.
  3. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline.  This book is awesome.  Totally packed with 80's references, and yet a future dystopian story, I loved it and highly recommend.
  4. Being Mortal - Atul Gawande.  My dad gave me this book some time ago, saying that it had been an interesting read that resonated with him.  The main thrust of the book is how we, as Americans, do a crappy job of dying well.  We usually go in a hospital room, stuffed full of sensors and tubes, sick as hell from drugs, instead of in a comfortable place , relaxing, with our loved ones around.  So, instead of fighting for every second of life, he argues that it is better to enjoy the time left.  I honestly didn't know a ton about hospice care, but the way he explains that mission, it really sounds like a wonderful thing.  I agree with the old man that it is a fascinating read.  Kinda depressing, but still very good.
  5. Inside the Dome - Stephen King.  I've read a ton of King over the years, and this was another good one, although I had a thought about halfway through that it runs through the same story as a number of his books.  A couple of good people having to deal with some evil people and one of the evil guys is highly religious and one is a psychopath and the other bad people just blindly do what they're told.  I liked the book, but don't expect any real horror here, more suspense.
  6. Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King.  This one is a little more intense, and is also good, but I'd say not so much a horror novel as a suspense mystery book.  Although a friend made a funny observation that the boy band that features heavily in the book shows just how old and out of touch with kids King might have become, as they sing about old timey things.  Kind of funny.
  7. Water Knife - Paolo Bacigalupi.  Loved this one too.  I apparently enjoy some future dystopian books.  This one describes a future where water is so scarce that large chunks of the country are uninhabited and Phoenix is dying.  The Water Knife is a mercenary employed by the water hungry folks in power in Vegas, and its a good character, one of those flawed animals that you end up rooting for despite his issues.  This one was a super quick read, I couldn't put it down.
  8. Bossypants - Tina Fey.  This book is freaking hilarious.  Significantly better than the Amy Poehler book.  Its kind of biography, kind of storytelling, kind of random jokes, but I laughed out loud several times.
  9. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.  While I wish it had been a real book and not a play script, I ate this sucker up with relish.  And I think I paid like $30 for the dumb book in some hoity toity bookstore in Colorado, but I saw it and had to have it.  I need more HP in my life.
That is all I can remember for right now.  I may have read others, but I kind of doubt it.  Here's to many more books in the new year.  If you have suggestions for what I should read, holla at your boy.

No comments: