Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Lollapalooza Lineup 2017 Announced

WOOHOO!  Not as big a day as when the ACL Lineup comes out, but its right there next to it.  The lineup for Lolla 2017 is up now and its got some good stuff.  I'll spend more time later predicting which of these will come to ACL, for now this is just about discussing this festival on its own.


The big three are Chance the Rapper, The Killers, and Muse.  

  • No shock that Chance is going to make a big homecoming lap to Chicago after his huge year with the Coloring Book mixtape.  He'd be cool to see again.  
  • The Killers were cool a while back - I never saw them live and might enjoy it, but I'm curious if they have any new music coming out.  I kind of thought they had broken up or something. Apparently they put out an album in 2012.  Who knew?  But nothing since then.
  • Muse. Freaking Muse.  The bothersome thing is that I generally like Muse's music, but I feel like they were a headliner for ACL 94 times during the last few years (patently untrue, I know this), so I'm less excited about them being in the top three here.  Their last album was 2015, so they also are not touring on fresh tunes.

Second grouping gets better for me.  This is the good meat of the lineup.

  • Arcade Fire are amazing and I'd go watch them again in a heartbeat.
  • The XX is surprisingly great, or at least their new album was.  No clue about their live show.
  • Lorde would be fun, although like other fest comments I've made, where is the new music?
  • Blink 182 would also be fun.  Never seen them live but I'd go for it.
  • DJ Snake.  This is the "Turn Down for What" guy.  And apparently he has a Justin Beiber song since then with 690 MILLION FREAKING LISTENS on Spotify.  The world is a crazy place man.  No thanks on this one.
  • Justice.  I think I remember these guys from a long time ago.  French DJs?  Yes, their song D.A.N.C.E. is a jam.  So very French and funky.


The next portion of the top third gets me excited about ACL, because this is a solid chunk of non-top-tier artists who I'd love to see:  Run the Jewels, Cage the Elephant (I know they were just at ACL last year), Big Sean, Head & the Heart, The Shins, Ryan Adams, Liam Gallagher, Spoon.  That is some good stuff up there in that top third of the poster.  BUT: Wiz Khalifa is dumb.  Migos are homophobic trash.  Some of these are groups that I forgot about after their one hit, so maybe they are coming back (looking at you Milky Chance, Vance Joy, and Tove Lo).

After that, there are still some good things, but a lot I just don't know.  If the "Live" they have on here is the "Live" of Throwing Copper and Paaaaaaaaahhaaiiin lies on the riversaaaaaaaiiiid! then I am praying for a repeat for Austin.  That would be rad.  No other artist (he says with zero research) has ever tenderly sung about a woman's placenta.  It'd be fun to see them for sure.  Royal Blood is awesome.  I'd try out Rae Sremmurd.  Noname is cool.  I've heard good things about RagnBone Man. Car Seat Headrest is fantastic.  Highly Suspect made one of my favorite albums of last year.  Alvvays makes me happy.  And Maggie Rogers played a great set at SXSW this year.

Probably another month and a half before we see the ACL poster, but this is exciting!

No comments: