Friday, March 10, 2017

Quick Hits, Vol. 119 (William Night, Angela Parrish, Swet Shop Boys, Two Door Cinema Club)

William Night - There Will Be Night.  No clue where I found this, but its kind of blandly pretty R&B singer/songwriter pop.  I have no clue why this is in my queue.  No song has more than a thousand listens on Spotify.  None of this sounds like something I'd ever aim for in my music.  No YouTube videos for me to link to you.  Bu-bye.

Angela Parrish - Faithful and Tall.  Another one with less than a thousand listens for any of the songs on Spotify.  Where did I come up with these people?  Is Spotify just populating my lists without telling me?  This gal has a nice, strong voice, but the tunes are just kind of generically in between soft country and soft rock and I dunno.  Stuff I don't listen to much.  I won't hold on to this.

Swet Shop Boys - Cashmere.  This stuff is weird and wonderful.  Made up of an Indian-American dude who was part of Das Racist (Heems) and an English-Pakistani dude named MC Riz, this stuff kind of sounds like M.I.A.'s Diplo beats - strange and worldly and catchy - and the raps are clever enough for me to enjoy as well.  Thankfully, my favorite from the album is also the most popular track, so here, enjoy "T5"
473k listens on Spotify, 235k views on YouTube.  Taking on the racial profiling going on at the airports these days.  I have to say, the last time I got selected for a random search, it was a beat down. And I'm the most plain jane whitey in the whole airport, I can only imagine how awful it must feel to have that happen if you are rocking a foreign passport.  "Shottin" is about evil cops.  "Zayn Malik" also has a fine beat with a great tiger growl at the start, and a Streets-esque flow about God knows what.  Also of note, MC Riz was in Rogue One.  That kind of rules.  I've enjoyed a few runs through this, but I'm just going to keep a few tracks.

Two Door Cinema Club - Gameshow.  So I saw these dudes at ACL last year at the advice of a friend and had a freaking blast.  Highly fun show of danceable rock jams.  This new album is in that same vein, with groove-based rock jams that are pretty fun to bounce along to in my office. However, I have to say that some of these songs devolve down into an Abba-esque disco groove that gets a little old to me.  So falsetto.  So "Fever," "Surgery," and "Invincible" (which frankly goes more 80's falsetto ballad than 70's) are kind of annoying in my book.  Actually, the more I listen to the album, it has a few great tunes and then a bunch I could do without.  But here is one that is a fun jam anyway, called "Bad Decisions."
Yeah, that tune, like a few others on here, are fun and loose and make me like these guys.  I bet I'd love to see them go live again sometime, but as for this album, I'll let it go.

No comments: