Monday, March 13, 2017

Right Now List: Demotions

I've noted before that I keep huge queues of songs in Spotify to listen to, and use one called "New Stuff" to save up all of the new things I should check out before I forget.  Well, I also have a list called "Right Now," which is where I move anything that passes that first test and sounds like something that I am going to want to keep around.  This week, I read a story about how streaming services are removing some of the strength of our connection to music, because we treat each song the same way we treat news stories, something to be quickly devoured and then scanned past in search of new news.  This hit very close to home for me, as I have definitely noticed that I never really get to spend a ton of time with the best music, because I'm always searching for more and spending my time listening to new


.So, I've decided to shuffle my way through that "Right Now" playlist for a few days, and it has been awesome.  So much truly fantastic music in there.  Things I'd totally forgotten about, like Noah Gunderson or Drenge, and things that I remember being good but just haven't gone back to in a while, like the Decemberists (give me the "Lake Song" or give me death) and Wolf Alice and Jose Gonzalez and Tame Impala and Chris Stapleton and case/lang/veirs and on and on.

But, a few things have done something else, where I look up and say "who the hell is this and why is it a keeper?"  To those, I dedicate this post as I delete them from this playlist and let them go back to whence they came.
  • Alex G - DBU.  Chilled little DIY music, but nah.
  • Halsey - Badlands.  I was somehow sucked in by "New Americana" and its mentions of Biggie and Nirvana, or something, because I don't want to hear this album anymore.
  • Eliot Sumner - Information.  I think I was blinded by how much she sounds like her dad's singing voice, but in actuality, I don't need to keep this one around.
  • The Libertines - Anthem for Doomed Youth.  Why did I like this?
  • more to come...

No comments: