Thursday, July 26, 2018

A R I Z O N A

One Liner: Generic electro-rock tunes of platitude lyrics but a genius band name.
Wikipedia Genre: Rock, electropop
Home: New Jersey

Poster Position: 13

Day: Sunday at 2:00
Both Weekends.

Thoughts:  Immediately, they are both annoying and genius for making their name have spaces between every letter.  Annoying because who the hell puts spaces between every letter of their name?  An annoying person.  Genius because my eyes are pulled directly to their name on the poster, over and over, because it takes up a wider swath of the poster with an otherwise short-ish name, and so it stands out.

Then, the music.  Relatively generic electronic music.  Well, no, not like the EDM type stuff that I've been reviewing recently, these beats are more rock-based, just made with synths and machines.  This isn't the generic EDM beat climbing up to a drop.  But despite having rock angles to the beats, it still rings the same bells in the end as the generic EDM.  

Three dudes who met in Boston while in college and then ended up back home in Jersey to join up and start making electronic rock tunes.  Sorry, I'm very distracted right now, a construction worker is wearing out a whistle about 80 feet from my office window.  Although honestly, I think I'm OK without looking up any more factoids about these dudes.

Their current most popular track is like many of the others I've reviewed recently - sunny electronic beat with an unknown female singing generic platitudes about how we'll spend our lifetimes looking for something we might not find.  But most of the others don't have the female cameo, they involve one of the three dudes from the band doing the singing.  Here is their top track, found on their only album, 2017's Gallery, "Oceans Away."
145.5 million streams.  I don't want to wait!  I don't wanna miss this!  I tell myself its alright, as the tears roll by!  I clown it, but its fine.  Relatively uninteresting and generic, but just fine.  
The second most popular track ("I Was Wrong") is also on that 2017 album, but the copy of the track that has 103.7 million streams is a remix by someone named Robin Schulz.  Which is not the same as the one on the album, which is in this video.  The world of remixes is very weird to me, especially where the changes to the song are very minimal.  I tried listening to both, and there may be, like, less hand clap sounds in one?
The singer's voice is good.  The lyrics are plain (Set me free!  Where I wanna be!).  The beats are plain.  This obviously passes me by, but they made it to the top half of the poster.  Good for them.  None for me.

No comments: