Wednesday, July 25, 2018

NAM

One Liner: Glitchy beats for electronic pop with a good vocalist.
Wikipedia Genre: None.  I'll say electronic indie or electronic pop.
Home: Austin.

Poster Position: 26

Day: Friday at 11:15 am
Weekend One Only

Thoughts:  The "A" in the name has an umlaut over it, which makes it seem like these guys are either Swedish or obnoxious.  Since the band is from Austin, I guess I have to go with the latter.  This is a duo, a female singer (Nora Luders) with a male beatmaker (Sam Simmons).  Their Spotify bio says they sent recordings and beats back and forth from Germany to Tennessee and then met up here in Austin to make it all happen.  Pretty cool story.

No full albums, just two EPs - 2016's Umlaut and 2017's Body Lotion. Surprisingly large number of streams for several of these songs, with 6 of them over the 150k mark and two over 350k.  From that early EP, their most streamed song is "Shaken Tight," with 352k streams.
I like her voice.  Kind of vulnerable, but strong and longing at the same time.  Beat is a little weird, but fun and funky too.  From the comments on YouTube, it looks like Spotify has featured this song on playlists (thus the high playcount for some of these tunes).  The top streamed track for the band is called "Face," which is on the new EP and has 583k streams.
Was going to say that the beat didn't do it for me, but I full on got caught up in it.  I like that the beats aren't normal or straight-forward.  They're all a little glitchy and different, keeps my interest and makes a nice area for her voice to land.  Huh.  Expected to not like this after the first few songs, now I think I dig it.  Some are a little more generic ("Jam Time" for example) and so I think I like the big ones much better than the remainder of these EPs.  A little uneven.  But the good ones are very good.

OF COURSE I'M LIKING THIS, BECAUSE ITS FREAKING WEEKEND ONE!!!

No comments: