Monday, July 23, 2018

Davie

One Liner: Alternative R&B guy with a nice voice but boring songs.
Wikipedia Genre: None.  Alternative R&B seems to fit.
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: 22

Day: Sunday at 11:30
Weekend Two Only

Thoughts:  Davie is a town in Florida, a county in North Carolina, and a street in Vancouver.  Its too bad that I just listened to another alternative R&B group - that is not my happy place for music, so its a little bothersome to go through two in a row (and this guy is already behind the eight-ball when starting the review, because I'm sick of this style of music).  The guy's real name is James David Treadwell.  Apparently traveled the world with a family gospel band, then settled in L.A. to sing backup for a lot of famous folks before striking out on his own.

The weird thing is that, as I listen through these songs, I'm reminded of the Fall Out Boy singer.  Not Pete Wentz, who is the singer?  Patrick Stump.  He has that kind of effortlessly nice, soulful voice that can also speak/rap lines well.  Which just feels like a weird thing to say about a black R&B singer.  But whatever.  Go listen to "Handle My Business" and tell me the vocals don't sound a little like the FOB vocals.  
Super basic tune.  OK.  Nothing all that special.  Which is how I am realizing all of these songs seem.  His voice is nice.  The tunes are boring.  "MVP" is like a weak John Legend tune.  "Roll With Me," which is the line used repeatedly in "MVP" but is also a song name for a different tune, is the most basic of guitar strums plus chilled vocals (and then a little bit of gospel/hand-clap/tambourine).

I'm pretty sure his most listened to track, "Testify," was used in a commercial or something.  Like an iPhone commercial.  753k streams.
Better tune in that one, got some funkiness and bounce to it.  But lyrically nothing to it.  I'm good without doing this one in the Fall.

No comments: