Saturday, September 7, 2019

Rosalia

One Liner:  Converting traditional flamenco into modern R&B, all in Spanish
Wikipedia Genre:  Flamenco pop, Urbano
Home: Spain

Poster Position: 5


Both Weekends.


Thoughts: This gal is huge these days.  On a track with James Blake, a Game of Thrones compilation, working on a track with Billie Eilish, and generally being in the popular hive mind, despite her music being almost entirely in Spanish.  

Two things that this name always make me think of.  One, the Better Than Ezra song that I listened to waaaaaay too much back in my college dorm rooms.  Mainly, when I think of it because I have read this artist's name, I am thinking of the last part where they just say the name over and over.  Two, the Bruce Springsteen song that isn't even called Rosalia, but is instead called "Rosalita," and was a very popular camp dance song for all the olds who used to go to my summer camp when I was a kid, which is kinda weird.

Full name is Rosalia Vila Tobella, and she is a 25 year old Spanish gal making flamenco into something new and popular all over again.  "NANA - Cap.9: Conception" has a bunch of those vocals that are almost an Arabic chant sound to them, that high, wavering, soulful mixing of notes you might hear coming from a tower in some bad movie about war.  I don't know crap about that music style, other than I remember listening to the Gypsy Kings and enjoying it.

I suppose the music is pretty, but its definitely outside of my zone.  First, and most obviously, because I can't understand any of the words.  But also because I really wouldn't ever aim my ears towards modern flamenco/R&B sounds, like, ever.  Her 2018 album El Mar Querer (the bad desire) has been a pretty significant hit.  The top track from this one is "MALAMENTE - Cap.1: Augurio."  I have no clue what is up with the naming conventions, but most of these songs on the album hew to that style of naming.  106.6 million streams.
I've seen that video before?  Ah yes, when I was looking at top albums of 2018.  As I said at the time, "I actually like the sound - the intricate rhythms and world textures, but I wouldn't listen to this one again.  Here is the top track, "MAMAMENTE," with 52.7 million streams and a pound and a half of sexy."  So, since January, she's doubled the streams on that track.  The video also tacks on 102 million views, so she's freaking huge.

"DI MI NOMBRE - Cap.8" Extasis" really sounds like she is saying "Jolene" over and over again, so I was kind of hoping it would be a modern take on Jolene.  But it appears she is actually saying "ay ali," which somehow has something to do with gypsies and the 1950s.  I wish it was Jolene. "BAGDAD - Cap.7: Liturgia" bites a piece of the tune from Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River," before the background singers start sounding like some Enya stuff.  "Con Altura," which is not on that new album, sounds like she is repeatedly saying colatura, which is this very yummy Italian fish sauce made by fermenting anchovies in brine for a long time.  We went to Cetara last year and ate a ton of the stuff - tossed into pasta with garlic it is great, or added to a mix of scrambled eggs, prosciutto, and mozzarella for breakfast - very good.  However, this song is not about rotting fish oils.

Her earlier album, 2017's Los Angeles, still showcases her awesome voice, but is entirely backed up by more traditional acoustic guitars only.  And none of the streaming popularity - none of these songs break the ten million stream mark.  Sure seems like her new album was the one that caught everyone's attention...  She does end the album with an English cover of "I See a Darkness" that is pretty solid.

She's released a number of singles since that 2018 album, and they stick to the new formula of sexy-time flamenco R&B.  While it isn't the top streamer among those newer tracks, it made me smile, so you get to hear "Millionaria."  23.1 million streams.
That video also includes "Dio$ No$ Libre del Dinero," which means God Free Us From Money, so it sure seems like a yin and yang song selection here, both loving money and hating money.  I feel like the hook quote of "fucking money, man" sounds like something from an 80's movie, like I should recognize that line from The Lost Boys or Pretty in Pink, but I can't come up with it and 10 seconds of googling didn't bring it up either.

Hopefully she puts on an amazing show and everyone goes over there to jam out.  I'll be at <checks schedule, tries to remember what the hell GoGo Penguin was, shudders at seeing the name of Q Brothers, rolls eyes at Rebelution> uh, at dinner!  So I can make sure to fill my belly before <checks schedule, shakes fist at schedulers who could have put Third Eye Blind or Bruce Hornsby here> uh, Billy Strings...

No comments: