Wednesday, September 25, 2019

ACL 2019: Weekend One: Saturday: Thoughts and Schedule [updated]

Saturday is the weakest day of this year's festival.  Of course, this is why I am going to Saturday both weekends.  Dammit.

I don't usually make it out there first thing on Saturday, in favor of eating good food (in the shade and with a seat, inexpensive drinks, plus college football, over catching the low level music slotted on a Saturday morning.  This year I'll probably take the time to go eat and drink well before making my way down to Zilker, as none of the early stuff is must-see for me.

The Kooks and Dylan LeBlanc are no longer playing today, so this has been adjusted to add in Bayonne and Rob Baird.  Now stop messing with my schedule, yo!

A few prelude thoughts:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.
  • The first column in each box is the stage where the band is playing (in case you thought I was just playing a weird word association game).
  • A little earlier than Friday's start.
  • Note that there is still a gap at the 2:00 hour where the Kooks used to be, so we might get a new artist added in before the Fest.
Playlist!





11:45 / 12:00

Miller Lite (12:00)
The Aquadolls: Surf rock like Best Coast listened to the Breeders
VRBO (11:45)
Stone Wheels: Jam band country
Tito’s (11:45)
Disciples of Christ: Four gospel ladies from Houston (not the rap group, the hardcore metal group, or the world music group)
BMI (11:45)
Ingrid Andress: Forgettable pop with indie pop girl voice
T-Mobile (11:45)
Diamante Electrico: Awesome rock dudes singing something groovy in Spanish

I have to note that the explosion of Spanish language artists this year for ACL is jacking up my Spotify suggested artists something major.  That being said, I might pick Diamante out of these five.  They really do sound pretty awesome.  If not them, then Stone Wheels for some jammed out country plucking.

12:30/12:45

Honda (12:45)
BayonneAmbient electronic pop stuff from Austin
Kiddie Limits
Q Brothers: Possibly not the worst Kiddie Limits band, if you believe Joseph
Tito’s (12:45)
Night Cap: Alt. rock with a slight jammy tilt coming from Austin.
American Express (12:30)
Flora Cash: Quietly generic dream pop with that one "You're Somebody Else" hit. 

None of these are must-see stuff.  Looking like a slower morning to get to the park on Saturday this year.  I’d say that my vote for these is Night Cap.  I don’t much care for Flora Cash.

1:15 / 1:30

Miller Lite (1:30)
Finneas: Billie Eilish's brother singing generic blue-eyed indie soulfully
VRBO
Briston Maroney: Great basic rock and roll from a former American Idol contestant.


BMI
Superet: I'm mentally blocked from recalling their name, but kinda Spoon-ish indie rock.
T-Mobile
Taylor Bennett: Chance the Rapper's little brother

Superet has become annoying to me because, for whatever reason, my NPR/Spotify commute playlist thing that they make has been populated heavily with their music.  STOP IT!  Honestly, they are fine, but Briston Maroney is better for a rock vibe and Taylor Bennett is solid if you are wanting to see rap.

1:45 / 2:00 / 2:30

Honda (2:15)
Men I TrustDreamy psych pop from two guys and a girl who apparently trusts them
Tito’s Tent (1:45)
Madison Ryann Ward: Killer voice, but only one single so far to go with it.
Kiddie Limits (2:30)
Gustafer Yellowgold: Kiddie Limits alien with a nice, sweet sound
American Express (2:00)
Sigrid: Killer voiced Norweigian gal deserves more hype

Would have been a harder call if it was the Kooks vs. Sigrid, but with The Kooks dropping out for health issues, its Sigrid all the way here.  I also apparently really liked the adjective “killer” for my lady voices during this hour.

2:45 and 3:00

Miller Lite
Hippie Sabotage:  Chill (mostly) EDM by two brothers.
VRBO
Misterwives: That band with the infectious disco-ish “Reflections” song from 2017.
Tito’s (2:45)
Rob Baird: Classic-sounding Americana/country music with good lyrics
BMI
Patrick Droney: John Mayer-esque guitar and soft-blues-rock guy
T-Mobile
Tierra Whack: Philly rapper with those tiny tracks now making good long raps

Tierra Whack was my gut reaction to seeing this time slot – she really is good and interesting and different.  But I’d also say that Baird is good and Droney is also impressive.  Some good choices to be made during this hour.

Then my buddy Jason just texted and said he was down for just about anything this weekend so long as I wasn't thinking Cardi B or Tierra Whack.  We then exchanged potato emojis, which cracked me up (see the video for "Unemployed").  So sounds like I might be enjoying me some white guy rock and roll instead.  We shall see.

4:00 / 4:30

Honda
Brittany Howard: Alabama Shakes singer doing her own thing
Tito’s Tent
Pink Sweat$: Very basic R&B like young Beiber
American Express
Lauren Daigle: Contemporary Christian singer with a killer voice
Kiddie (4:30)
Koo Koo Kanga Roo: Electronic goofy kiddie music

Torn on this one.  On the one hand, Howard was amazing with Alabama Shakes, and I like what I have heard of the first few tracks from her solo stuff.  On the other hand, Daigle’s voice is beautiful and it would be nice to see her doing her thing live.  I probably lean towards Howard, but we’ll see.

5:00

Miller Lite
Kali Uchis: Mediocre R&B sounds with some Amy Winehouse tendencies
VRBO
Natalia Lafourcade: Mexican pop rock lady
BMI
Bones UK: Industrial pop rock ladies
T-Mobile
Judah & the Lion: Popular combination of bluegrass sounds into hip hop-tinged pop rock.



Pretty lame hour, IMO.  I guess I would do the Judah & the Lion thing?  Their live show seems pretty fun?  But I wouldn’t feel great about it.  More likely I’ll go get dinner and then get into position for Gary Clark Jr.

6:00

Honda
Billie Eilish: Dark pop phenom at only 17 years old.
Tito’s Tent
Masego:  Kind of fun jazz fusion rap/R&B guy
American Express
Gary Clark, Jr.: New school guitar legend from Austin

If you know anything about my musical tastes, you know that I’m going to go see the guitar God do his thing.  Also, I have the luxury of already making plans to see Eilish the next weekend when I take my girls for Saturday only.  Masego is actually pretty interesting, if you are not feeling either of the other options and want something that will be inventive and different.

Speaking of coming back next Saturday, what in the world am I going to show my 9 and 11 year old girls the next weekend?  I don't want to think about that yet, or I'm going to start getting nervous about what kind of clothing Kali Uchis wears in concert as she likely writhes around on the stage.

7:00

Miller Lite
James Blake: Falsetto-singing, glitchy-electronic R&B Brit
VRBO
Metric: Solid indie rock cut with electronic rock and their few hits about a decade old
T-Mobile
21 Savage: "Atlanta" mumble rapper who has a couple very good tracks.

I would pick Metric to see out of these.  21 Savage isn’t as terrible as some of the other rappers doing the mumble rap thing, but Metric is legitimately a good band.  When James Blake's most popular track is someone else's rap song that he schmears 14 or so words in the middle of, I say no thank you.

HEADLINERS:

Honda
The Cure: It's The freaking Cure, dude.


American Express
Childish Gambino: Inconsistently good rapper and R&B crooner

I would absolutely go see the Cure.  But I also feel like I just saw them a few years ago, and with no new music, am I just going to see the exact same show?  All I know is that when I re-listened to them a few weeks ago, I got excited about this show.  But then I think that Gambino has about 3 tracks that are worth seeing, so going to that side might be a waste?  But maybe he's an insane performer because there has to be some reason he is popular when his music kinda sucks?  Torn on this one for sure.  Have a feeling Jason will make this pick for us.

I said that Saturday was weak, but that is mainly based on the afternoon shows.  Watching Gary Clark Jr., then Metric, then The Cure - that is a super solid three hours of time.

No comments: