Friday, September 6, 2019

Jai Wolf

One Liner:  Varied electronic tunes that border on indie rock
Wikipedia Genre:  Electronic
Home: NYC

Poster Position: 7


Both Weekends.


Thoughts:  Electronic (?) music from a guy actually named Sajeeb Saha.  He was born in Bangladesh, although he apparently lived there for all of a year or so before moving to Long Island.  His original moniker was No Pets Allowed, and I think he made a good move here to switch up the name to this one.  Like many of these dudes, he got his start making remixes of other people's tracks, before he started making his own electronic tracks.

His most popular track is more of a traditional EDM style track.  "Indian Summer" is his most popular by a ton, with 80.9 million streams.
Has those (exposing all my ignorance immediately) traditional Indian-type singers adding in the vocals (who could be Bangladeshi or Pakistani, or whatever, and I'm sure someone could get offended, but I have no clue).  Cool song - feels expansive and crisp and exuberant.  Goes well with the video of exploration.

One album, 2019's The Cure to Loneliness.  And from that single, you would think that this is all EDM, but then his other tracks are less cut and paste EDM-y stuff, and more like electronic pop with a guest singer doing the vocals and hook while he makes an electronic beat track for them to run with.  Actually, now that I listen through this album more, some of it isn't anything like EDM.  "Lose My Mind" is straight indie pop rock.  It is the most popular track on the album (7.7 million streams) and is pretty damn good.
Got a Cure bassline, chill little strummy guitars, a super sunny, happy beat, and a good overall groove.  I actually like this track a lot.  I wouldn't call it electronic at all - more like a tasty pop rock nugget.  Kind of a big budget-seeming video!  I mean, it was a whole story and they had real-looking space ships and stuff!  Cool.

And then the rest of the album vacillates - poppy indie rock, and then a purely electronic tune.  He definitely uses electronics to add to the sound, but he's also using synths and drums and sometimes guitar to create the sound.  The instrumental "Telepathy" also makes me think of the Cure, because of the guitar work combined with the synth stabs in it, but it is definitely built on an electronic framework.  "This Song Reminds Me Of You" is definitely electronic, but not EDM.  But then "Manic Pixie Dream" is just straight electronic stuff you'd see in a video of people cliff diving in Ibiza or something.  I know I'm kind of obsessing about this, but it just seems important to not dismiss the guy as just another EDM nerd pushing computer buttons - this is real music.

I actually kind of like it.  Doubt I'd choose to go see it, but if it is an otherwise tossup hour, I'd check it out.

No comments: