Thursday, September 1, 2022

Big Boi

One Liner: Half of Outkast still making funky raps

Wikipedia Genre: Funk, electronic, Latin, R&B
Home:  Atlanta

Poster Position: 15

Weekend One Only. Saturday.

Thoughts:  I could have sworn that I did a review of him already, but I guess not!  I did not do full reviews of all of the bands back in 2014 when Outkast last came through as a group (still one of the loudest shows I can remember at ACL Fest), and I guess he hasn't been through as a solo artist since.  I thought I was going to get to see him at Sound on Sound a few years after that, but it got rained out.  I've reviewed a few of his solo discs, but this will be a good time to deep dive into my man.

Antwan Andre Patton is his real name, and if you don't know he was half of Outkast and one of Atlanta's most famous rappers, then I don't know what to tell you.  The weird part about his time in Outkast is that he came off like the straight man, the normal dude, because of how wild and outlandish Andre 3000 was.  But then you hear this dude on his own albums and he is definitely not above making some weird shit happen.  He grew up in Savannah, GA, and then moved to Atlanta where he enrolled in a visual and performing arts magnet high school to pursue his interest in music.  He credits his uncle with exposing him to a wide variety of music "specifically Kate Bush, who he has described as his favorite artist."  Really?  That is wild.

He met Andre Lauren Benjamin in high school and they formed Outkast to become one of the most successful hip hop groups of all time.  Sold more than 20 million albums, listed in loads of short lists of best rappers, best duos, best albums, etc.  And then their last album together was more of two solo albums, released as a unit - Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below.  The album went diamond, won the Grammy for Album of the Year, and was a huge success, but it was kind of sad that they didn't really do it together.  Big Boi went on to start releasing more solo albums that were relatively successful, but Andre3k  pretty much hung it up except for a few guest spots and a reunion tour in 2014.

His first solo album was 2010's Sir Lucious Left Foot ... The Son of Chico Dusty.  I actually own it.  Yes, kids, we used to buy physical copies of the music we loved.  It is good fun, with some fun collaborations from folks like George Clinton, Too $hort, Gucci Mane, Janelle Monae, T.I., etc.  There is also a terrible collaboration with someone named Vonnegutt that I deeply dislike (because the guy sounds so whiny!), but overall it is a good time.  The biggest song is "Shutterbugg" with someone named Cutty, with 23.4 million streams.

"General Patton" has a dope sample of a choir that is used to create a slice of gravitas and power.  "Shine Blockas" is a great running song with a 170 bpm speed to keep your feet moving, and its sample of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes is freaking dope ass perfection.  "Tangerine" is smooth as hell.  And some of the spoken bits in between songs are funny stuff.  Overall a good album.

His next solo joint was in 2012, called Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors.  I don't think I bought this one.  None of the songs on here blew up in any significant way - all but one are under 5 million streams.  But he got a lot of good collaborators again - T.I., Ludacris, A$AP Rocky, UGK, Kelly Rowland, Big KRIT, Killer Mike, Kid Cudi.  Unfortunately, he also has Phantogram on multiple of these songs, and I think they are worse for it.  Phantogram was also at ACL in 2014, and my review of them was less than glowing: "According to their Wikipedia page, they were the ones who appeared on Big Boi’s last album, singing the hook on a few songs.  Those songs were terrible – I kept wondering why Big Boi needed to add some weak-voiced hook singer to his songs."  So, didn't love those tracks!  Unfortunately, the top track has both Phantogram and A$AP Rocky on it.  I suppose I need to provide you with that one, even when I think there are better tracks on here.  6.3 million streams for "Lines."

Interesting that comments are turned off for that tune on YouTube.  I wonder why.  But that tune doesn't do it for me.  The beat isn't great - a little too electro/techno - and her hook is weak.  Neither of the raps are great.  Just a mediocre track.  He also has something called Little Dragon on here three times.  Feels like he was doing his label a favor to add some undeserving things to the album to get them a bump off of his star.  "She Said OK" is pretty funky.  "In the A" is good.  But otherwise it is just a mess of an album with no coherent sound.  The earlier album was funky as hell and had a lot of strong verses.  This one not so much.

After a five year break, we got Boomiverse.  Here is what I had to say the time: 

"Man, why can't Outkast just keep doing their thing?  Andre 3000 said that he felt dirty doing their big reunion shows a few summers ago, but they freaking ruled.  Their show at ACL was amazing. My memory of how much my entire body vibrated during the bass in that show is still cool.  So Big Boi keeps making music, and bits of this are good, but its nothing like the killer duo was making back in the day.  Andre 3000 says he is likely done with rap, he just can't get interested about it anymore at 42 years old.  Too bad really, because he was the freaky weirdo that perfectly balanced out the rough Big Boi.  The second song on this album just jumped right of the speakers and grabbed me by the ears and started making out with my face.  It just so happens that my taste is good, since that is by far the most listened to track on the album (at 16.0 million streams). Here is "Kill Jill." [which is no longer true, it is now the second-most streamed tune on here with 56.2 million streams]

I swear, I just got goosebumps when that beat kicked in and Killer Mike started getting it.  "I'm repping that Zone Four though with a .44 on your bro though, Cause that dodo thought that he could rob a player for some dough though."  And then Big Boi's verse: "Usually I don't do this, dumb it down, go stupid, Since 17 been countin' M's, my bank account's on Goofy, They say Cosby gave 'em roofies, Now who know what the truth is (what?), Chicago's full of shooters, My garage is full of hoopties."  I love it.  The beat, the lyrics, even Jeezy can't ruin it.  Now, some of the tracks on here are pretty weak, going onto some techno/electro garbage or using Adam Levine (or other bad hook singers), so you can't just let the whole album play (in my opinion), so just bump the tracks with Killer Mike, the one with Pimp C ("In the South"), and the piano-heavy (reminds me of "Cash Machine") "All Night." "

That is now the top track from the album - "All Night" has 93.4 million streams.  It is actually his most streamed song overall.

I could do without the product placement ad for Lyft, but I really like the joyful pleasure of watching that guy groove his way through his pre-action routine.  Also, he's dressed like he is headed to the 
beach, and she is all gussied up.

Finally, 2021 leaves us with the Big Sleepover. Here is what I said at the time: 

"I miss Outkast.  Every time I hear one of these Big Boi solo albums, it lays bare the amazing way that those two dudes made great music together.  By themselves, they're just not as good.  I like Killer Mike's cameo, but he's pretty much on the same wavelength as Big Boi.  You need that off-kilter weirdness of Andre to really mix in here and make it right.  Like, "Animalz" is very weird and kind of gross in a sexual way, but it's not good weird, just freaking weird.  I kind of like "Can't Sleep," but much of this album is just boring.  "Sucka Free" is good though.  The final track on the album is the top streamer, which is interesting.  "Doin' It," with 5.4 million streams.

Yeah, that is a good one - just a happy track with that piano riff and Boi doing his best to run with that flow.  Also, cute puppies!  But as I try the album yet again, so much of it just flows by without much of note to snag my mind.  I don't need to keep it."

And the stream count supports this thought - most of the tracks don't even crack a million streams.  For rap royalty!  That is a bummer, but the beats are generally good!

SO, I'd totally go see him do his thing, just based off of his time with Outkast and his first solo album.  Totally worth it to check him out again.

No comments: