Saturday, September 3, 2022

Blondshell

One Liner: Tasty indie rock that reminds me of Lucy Dacus

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but indie rock, singer-songwriter
Home: L.A. (born in NYC)

Poster Position: New addition to the poster
Weekend Two Only.  Friday.

Thoughts:  Oh heck yeah, her top song is a gem.  Sounds like a Lucy Dacus tune that I missed off of her last album.  Also, to show you the kind of good company that Spotify believes she is in, when her three songs finished playing earlier, the algorithm went to Wet Leg and let me jam one of those songs before I realized the issue.

Sabrina Teitelbaum.  The bio I read said that she was drawn to the confessional lyrics of Tracey Chapman, Elliott Smith, and Patti Smith.  She says she wrote the lyrics to "Olympus," her biggest song, about the experience of falling in love with someone and knowing it wasn't going to work out despite still being in love.  677k streams.
Really great - the slow build of it, the smart lyrics, the whole thing is awesome.  Two other singles available on Spotify, although the article I read talks about additional songs they have heard, so maybe there is an album that just hasn't been uploaded yet.  Second-place streamer is "Kiss City" with 262k streams.

Another one that builds up from a chill little ditty to a large-scale rock tune.  The most recent tune actually has a video, so you can see some video of the lady herself, playing with her dog and grinning as she flips you off.  "Sepsis."

Another set of good lyrics and a chill indie rock tune.  Her band is good too - I like those chiming guitars in there.  "He wears a front facing cap, the sex is almost always bad, I don't care cause I'm in love, I don't know him well enough."  But she might let him kill her like sepsis!  Crazy lady!

Good stuff.  I like it.

No comments: