Thursday, September 1, 2022

Good Looks

One Liner: Austin jangly rock band that rules!

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but I'll say rock and roll, garage rock
Home:  Austin

Poster Position: 29

Weekend Two Only. Saturday.

Thoughts:  Uh, wow.  If you look for "good looks" on Wikipedia, you end up on the page for "Human physical appearance," which bombs you with immediate nudity.  Over on the right hand side, you get a naked lady and dude - and I won't say they are just like smoking hot either if they are supposed to encapsulate good looks.  Not horrible or anything, but they also have no pubic hair and now I'm going to have nightmares because their hands are out next to their sides like they have nothing to hide and her eyes have no soul and his butt is really nice and now I'm all discombobulated.  Glad I worked from home today.

Beyond that experience, I actually am digging these tunes.  Got a DIY, jangly, shoegaze-y rock vibe going on that is appealing.  One album - 2022's Bummer Year (great title) - and then singles that came out from that album before the album.  So that is really all there is to hear.  And according to one article I read, one of them was hit by a car right after they released this album and played a gig at Hotel Vegas, putting in the hospital with terrible injuries and a Go Fund Me to help him pay for it all.  Damn!  I guess he is doing better now! The members of the band are from different smaller towns in Texas - and some of them met up and honed their skills at the Kerrville Folk Festival.  Singer Tyler Jordan claims it was seeing Spoon's ACL taping that cemented his need to move to Austin to make music.  That is cool.

The opener is the top track so far - "Almost Automatic" with 174k streams.
Amazing the way the tone of that guitar just creates a sense of longing, before he's even said a word.  So freaking cool.  Great song - the solo jams and then the cut back to the chilled opening vibe is perfect.  Makes me want to cry, and I have no clue why in the world that would happen.  And the guitarist is the dude who got mashed up - he looks good and sounds great!  Freaking jam.  Gimme more of it!

"Vision Boards" is later on in the album and is chugging it's way up the stream counts with 91k.
The article I read says that this song was actually written long ago, and so now it is a little bit odd, because it has him lamenting being unable to get a break in the music industry, when the opposite is starting to happen for them.  Album release, sold-out shows, ACL Fest.  Jordan laughs at himself for performing a tune now about it "not working out," when it finally is.  Also, that pancake is creepy.

I am digging what these guys are putting down.  I'd absolutely go see them if they weren't Saturday of Weekend Two!  I'll just have to hunt down a show somewhere else before then!  Unfortunately, they are out on the road, doing a big fat tour of America.  Feels like I missed out!

No comments: