Friday, September 2, 2022

Mama Duke

One Liner: Local rapper with a brash sound and some clean beats

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but rap/hip hop
Home:  Austin

Poster Position: 30 (the absolute bottom of the poster)

Weekend One Only. Saturday.

Thoughts:  Okay, that first track got my interest.  One album only - 2020's Ballsy - and it is full of relatively plain jane beats and a nice flow over the top.  You've seen me, in this space, crap on people for mediocre beats, but honestly these may be relatively spare, but they match the tone of her flow just right and I'm enjoying it.

It is actually interesting to me the way that ACL Fest does their poster.  I've always been curious about the backroom machinations that go in to deciding that The Midnight's sorry ass is above Kevin Morby.  But the way that the smallest rappers get shunted to the very bottom among the gospel artists has always seemed a little off to me.  I know someone has to be at the bottom, but literally the bottom line this year is made up of three black artists - two rappers and a gospel guy - while Happie Hoffman, with one song on Spotify and no available, is up there on the 26th line.  Just seems like a miss for an otherwise very progressive-leaning festival.

Real name is Kori Roy, and she grew up in Palacious, Texas.  I've always enjoyed saying the name of that town.  She went to college in Houston, but then dropped out and moved to Austin to pursue music.  Since then she's been named as Artist of the Month by the Statesman, received two Austin Hip-Hop Awards, and played SXSW.  The Statesman called her an "out-and-proud lesbian."  Her wife is actually her DJ - Keeley Roy.  Through random circumstance, she ended up opening for Naughty BY Nature with only her third show.

"Mad" is her top track with 7,288 streams.
"she don't wanna get dicked down, cause she into chicks now."  Overall, she isn't saying anything on that track, but the feel of it is cool.  I love the Schwarzenegger bit on "Found a Way."  Her lines about her dick on, the aptly named "Get Off My Dick" are funny stuff.  As is the line "I just puff puff pass, cause y'all traaaaaaaaash."  "Ghost" is her next top track with 3,679 streams.  So she's not killing it on the streams.
She really likes those old hockey jerseys.  When it said this video was a rooftop take, I figured it would be the roof of a club, that looks like it was on the roof of someone's gramma's house.  "BUt I'm married legally, I gotta go!"

I dig it.  Good sound, nice beats, clean flow, I'd be in to this one.

No comments: