Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 44 (The Bright Light Social Hour, Celestial Shore, The Sonics, Funkadelic, Parliament)

The Bright Light Social Hour - Space is Still the Place.  Love this album.  From my time with the 2015 ACL bands, I think it is becoming more apparent that I like myself some psych rock.  This band's last album was also awesome, although it was more of a funky rock party, and this one leans more into the psych fold.  The best track, the one that jumps out and grabs you right away, is "Infinite Cities," which maintains both sides of the band, some funkiness from the bass and drums, but also some trippy guitar and effects.  It is awesome.
Yeah!  I have yet to see these dudes, even though they are from Austin and play here quite a bit.  I'd like to catch a live show sometime.  Good album, check it out.

Celestial Shore - Enter Ghost.  Interesting album.  I have listened to it a number of times, and just can't decide if I like it or not.  As I listen, it sounds good, kind of falsetto indie pop with classic rock/pop harmonies and organs and a 90's alternative overlay.  The thing is, when I'm done listening to it, nothing at all sticks in my mind.  It just melts right out of my brain as soon as the last note plays.
The start of this one sounds like it is an old Pixies B-Side you are hearing for the first time, but then the singing is entirely different.  "I Hide" is kind of cool too.  I like it well enough, but I just don't expect that I'll keep it around for good.

The Sonics - This is the Sonics.  I am so very tired of listening to this album.  It has been in my new music Q for a very long time, and keeps popping up after I listen to other things, and I just don't like it.  I know I am supposed to love it, because this band is roundly loved by and influential to bands like Nirvana and the White Stripes.  And maybe back in the 60's, their sound really was revelatory and worthy of adoration, but this sounds more like my friend's dad and his bowling buddies made a demo and now I have to listen to it with him watching me and air guitaring the super rockin' parts. I'm sorry.  I just can't do it.
That was "Bad Betty."

Funkadelic - Free Your Mind...  Now, I'm well aware that this is not a new album, but in listening to new music, I sometimes run across things that I probably should go listen to for the historical effect they have had on music.  Album was released in 1970.  This is an interesting thing, in that some of this music is brutally out of left field and hard to listen to. So very grating and experimental.  But then "I Wanna Know If It's Good to You" kicks in with sweet funky, psychedelic excellence, and I see how this was so influential.
Aw yeah.  I'd keep that track, but the rest can go.

Parliament - Mothership Connection.  This is what I'm talking about.  Now I know the answer to the question of "Which George Clinton project is better?"  This is the funky stuff used to make some of the best rap music, in my opinion.  And while this is still kind of out there like Funkadelic, it is light years more approachable, and contains loads of recognizable hooks, which makes it even more fun to listen to.  "P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)."


No comments: