Monday, September 28, 2015

Van Halen - Circuit of the Americas - September 21, 2015

Van freaking Halen, baby.  I mean, this is one of the iconic rock and roll bands.  Wikipedia facts:
  • According to the RIAA, Van Halen is the 19th-best-selling band/artist in United States history, selling 56 million albums in the U.S.
  • Number 4 on the Billboard's top moneymakers list in 2013.
  • One of only five rock bands that have had two studio albums sell more than 10 million copies in the U.S.
  • Charted the most number-one hits in the history of Billboard‍ '​s Mainstream Rock chart
  • One of the world's best-selling bands of all time, having sold more than 80 million records.

I came of musical age in the time period after David Lee Roth had been kicked out of the band and Sammy Hagar took over the singing duties.  Mid 1980's.  5150 is the iconic Van Halen album of my youth, with great tunes like "Dreams," "Why Can't This Be Love," and "Summer Nights."  My old friend Cary and I used to JAM that album.  Hell, I even have good memories of listening to For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and that album is pretty weak. Since those days, I've also learned to love the old school hits as well.

With that in mind, when Van Halen, with David Lee Roth singing, is coming to town, you make it happen. My buddy Kamran was all in on this and we drove out in time to catch the opener, the Kenny Wayne Sheppard Band.  I know like two of that dudes songs, but when he played Voodoo Chile, it was freaking amazing.  He can absolutely, unequivocally jam on the guitar.

We had great seats - very back on the floor, right on an aisle.  None of these photos are mine, they came from a friend of a friend.  My pics are all garbage.  They blasted into action with something I didn't recognize, and then "Running with the Devil," which was excellent.  I expected more of a greatest hits catalog show.  Don't get me wrong, they played the big ones, (while completely dissing the great Sammy Hagar tunes) but left out some of the other good ones from the Diamond Dave days.  No "Jamie's Crying'," no "And the Cradle Will Rock," but otherwise they hit all the big ones.  Hands down, without a doubt, "Hot for Teacher" was freaking awesome.  Always my favorite of their tunes. The rumble of the drums, the sly lyrics, the killer guitar riffs.  "Jump" and "Panama" were also great.
  
However, I have to say, Diamond Dave kind of mailed it in.  He's still a massive clown, over-the-top showman.  I bet he changed his clothes 15 times during the show. (My friend decided if he ever had a peacock, he'd name it David Lee Roth, which is hilarious and spot on).  And he twirled and skidded and high-kicked and flipped his cowboy hat all over the stage the whole time, grinning like the Cheshire Cat on speed.  But when it came to actually doing his job?  You know, singing the lyrics to the songs that were playing?  It was kind of a half-ass job.  I get that he's old and maybe can't hit the same high notes and trademark shrieks in his classic days, but even more than that, he'd just skip lines while he mugged for the crowd, or mumble through stuff. Meanwhile the rest of the band, including newcomer Wolfgang Van Halen, were completely spot on with their backup singing and lyrics.  For example, "Hot for Teacher" has all of those great asides ("I don't feel tardy!" or "I brought my pencil!!") as well as some high notes and "Ooooh" sounds that kind of make the song more excellent.  And he just skipped right over all of them like they never existed.  It would have been really cool to see them back with Dave was spot on, but as it was, it took some shine off of the show.


That being said, the true star of the show was Eddie Van Halen.  That guy is absolutely freaking amazing. He didn't play the exact tune for "Eruption" that normally comes before "You've Really Got Me," but instead straight hammered his guitar for about ten minutes of showcase.  It was flipping amazing.  I can play about 5 chords and the F-chord defeated my abilities to ever really play guitar, but EVH makes that thing squeal and squawk and hum and soar in a way that I don't think I've seen ever.  I've gotten to see Jack White and Gary Clark Jr., but this was just something on another plane. Made the night definitely worth the trip.

I'd absolutely suggest going to see them do their thing if you get the chance, mainly just to see Eddie.  Dave is funny in his way, but just know what to expect and you should leave pretty happy.

No comments: