Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 43 (Snoop Dogg, Tyler, the Creator, Young Thug, Turbo Fruits)

Snoop Dogg - BUSH.  Good gravy, this is bad music.  What happened, Snoop?  He's back from being Snoop Lion, which is a plus, but this is just not good at all.  I would normally enjoy the backing tracks - live band funk music, heavy on the P-Funk influences - but not feeling it at all.  When those types of songs are sampled for rap, I'm usually all in.  But this is more of a 70's funk synth album with a load of singing over the top instead of the regular rap.  He raps too, but it is pretty weak. This is not good.
"Peaches n Cream" is the most listened to track off of the album.  I can't do it.

Tyler, the Creator - Cherry Bomb.  Really uneven.  Some of his stuff is interesting and fun, but a lot of this album is too convoluted and becomes hard to listen to a second time.  I have yet to really get into any of the guys who came out of the Odd Future group.  Here is the most listened-to one from the album (likely because it includes Kanye and Wayne), called "Smuckers."
I've listened to it a few times over the last few months, and I just don't want to hear it again.  Pretty poor recommendation right there.

Young Thug - Barter 6.  Like Future, I feel like I always see things about Young Thug being the new hotness that everyone needs to get on board with.  In general terms, this is fun enough music - trap tracks that work fine for head bobbing - but I find his delivery annoying on most tracks, all auto-tune and offkilter.  This one, "Check," is pretty cool.
In fact, now that I listen to the album again, this sounds a ton like Future.  I'm just not that into this wave of rappers.  Overall, I wouldn't suggest that you listen to the album.

Turbo Fruits - No Control.  Dig it.  Raw poppy punk that reminds me of Diarrhea Planet.  This album is good stuff - sometimes a little screamier than I like, but overall I have enjoyed five or six good listens.  At 36 minutes long, that is easy to knock out.  "Big Brother" is a good track, and this one, their current most popular, is a standout as well.
"The Way I Want You," with all of 79k listens.  Rest of the album is pretty similar, I think punk is the correct genre name, but it is almost more pop rock than true old school punk.  I like it though.

No comments: