Thursday, September 17, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 46 (Megafauna, The Mountain Goats, Mumford & Sons, Tallest Man on Earth)

I fully understand that it is not considered cool to like Macklemore - he stole Kendrick's Grammy or something - but Thrift Store was funny and ear-worm-hall-of-fame.  His new single, "Downtown," is also funny.  He's excited about his moped!  I would be too, except that anytime I'm alone and could ride on it I'm probably going to drink a lot.
That stuff right there makes me laugh.  Plus Kool Moe Dee!  "I'm goin' 38, Dan, chill the hell out!"  Ken Griffey looks, uh, healthy.

Megafauna - Maximalist.  Heck yes, man.  I have no recollection of who told me about this band, but this is rock n' freaking roll of the highest order.  Chugging back end with slasher guitar greatness over the top.  The band is a trio from Austin, and I'd love to go see them do this live now that I've heard the album.  Their play count on Spotify is criminally low - several songs on the album have less than a thousand plays.  But this music is better than half of the bands I listened to for ACL Fest. Next year, they should make the Fest!  This is "Haunted Factory," which has 1,300 listens on Spotify.
Go check out the album, if you have felt my rock recommendations in the past, then I think you'll like them. Check out the last track, slow burner "Chromatic Fantasy" that builds to a good kick.

The Mountain Goats - Beat the Champ.  I recall Rolling Stone loving on this album because it is an odd concept disc about wrestlers made by the folkie/indie Mountain Goats. I mean, when have you ever heard the words "turnbuckle high" uttered in a precious indie tenor?  It is weird, but not as weird as the punk-flavored "Choked Out" popping up a few songs later, followed by a lovely piano instrumental called "Heel Turn 2."  This album is all over the place, but I actually kind of like it. Odd, but enjoyable.  Here is "the Legend of Chavo Guerrero"
And a cool cover to the album as well.  Interesting thing right there.

Just as an FYI, there is an artist available on Spotify named Thunderbritches, with an album called "Deer Hunting Tales," that includes a song called "Hunting With Jerry Springer."  What is wrong with the world?  In my defense, I was looking for the new Brittany Howard solo album, called Thunderbitch, and this is what Spotify served up to me.  Do not go listen to this album.

Mumford & Sons - Wilder Mind.  Well, that is disappointing.  I think this album is actually fine, if it had been released by "Marcus and the Jam," I'd probably be talking about how it is a nice little album of vaguely rocking indie music.  But because I very much enjoyed the banjo-fueled revolution of M&S's earlier music, this sounds totally watered-down and generic.  Its not bad music, but literally these songs could be anyone if it weren't for Mumford's telltale voice.  Bummer.

The Tallest Man on Earth - Dark Bird is Home.  Another vaguely pretty set of tunes from this guy. I checked out his last album a few months back, and my opinion doesn't change much with this album.  Very similar feel - kind of longing, maybe hopeful, atmospheric sound for much of the album, with a few more lively tunes like "Darkness of the Dream."
I definitely prefer that track to the darker sounding stuff, and in general I like this album. "Timothy" is a cool track, kind of Irish sounding and quite nice.  That being said, I won't keep this one around I don't think.

No comments: