Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Son Little

Another artist added long after the original lineup was announced, Son Little is actually pretty nice sounding soul/ rock/ hip hop hybrid music.  He's got a 2014 EP of five songs, plus a few singles, available on Spotify, and they sound great.  His most popular as of right now is called "Lay Down," which is a 2015 single that has 119k listens.
That is reminiscent of future mega-star Leon Bridges.  His set has been wedged into the early Friday schedule, right after the fun times of Calliope Musicals and Leopold and His Fiction.  His most listened-to track is less laid back, a little more snappy, and called "The River."  Over 671 thousand spins for this one, pretty impressive.
Kind of an ominous groove and slink on that tune - I like it alot.  If you don't want to dance and/or go down to the river with that darlin', then you need to get with the program.  This guy's real name is Aaron Livingston, his online bio details say that he is friends with members of the Roots, and worked with them on one of their albums.  Good friends to have, and some songs ("Your Love Will Blow Me Away," "Cross My Heart") have a clear hip hop influence.  Overall, I like the soul sounds better, with a classic sound that is well-done, but even these other new sounds are cool too.

I doubt I'll take the time to go see him on Friday early afternoon - if I make it out that early, I'm doing the Maccabees and Residual Kid, but I like what I hear here.

No comments: