Saturday, September 19, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 48 (Jamie xx, Willie and Waylon, Speedy Ortiz, DMA's)

Jamie xx - In Colour.  I feel like this guy has been getting talked up a lot recently in RS and on music blogs.  For the most part, this doesn't do it for me - not quite dance, not quite chill, I don't know what this is trying to be.  Best song on the album is the opener, called "Gosh."
Bass heavy, with a breathless shuffle on top and the random lyrics cut from God knows what.  I'm still confused by the tune, but I can respect the catchiness.  Most of this music is just straight instrumental, relaxed groove, but a few add in a guest singer.  Not my thing. There is also one snappy little Caribbean-flavored rap number with Young Thug and something called Popcaan on here, which was appealing because it was different than the rest of the album, but its not especially good.

Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard - Django and Jimmie.  Victory lap for two country music O.G.s.  Pretty fun, although nothing ground-breaking going on here.  "Missing ol' Johnny Cash" kind of got on my nerves, like a song an upstart "Texas music" guy would make to prove his bonafides. I know facts about Johnny Cash!  I'm the real deal!  If that ain't country you can kiss my ass!  "Alice in Hulaland" is nice, their cover of "Don't Think Twice it's Alright," is great, and the title track is a good one as well.  Good album.

Speedy Ortiz - Foil Deer.  Great indie rock heavy on the 90's alternative flavor.  Easily could have been a lost classic from the high school days.  I've enjoyed the whole thing several times, and I think the second track, "Raising the Skate," or maybe "My Dead Girl" are the two that stick out the best to me.  Here is "Raising the Skate."
Heavy riffs and boss lyrics.  Very enjoyable album with a lot to like both lyrically and musically.

DMA's - DMA's.  Heavily influenced by Oasis and in the same vein as the Arctic Monkeys, this is a pretty fun debut.  Short as hell - 6 songs in 23 minutes - but it sounds both new and familiar in a really good way.  Here is the lead single from that album, "Delete."
Ha!  When searching for that video, the third link when you search for "DMA's" on google is an article quoting Noel Gallagher that he is going to boo DMA's when they both played the Governor's Ball this year.  First off, no surprise that Gallagher would say something acerbic and quotable for reporting.  Second off, its always good to have my thoughts about a band seconded.  I like the upbeat songs more than that video up above, but even that one is well done.  While I wish this album was longer, I like it and will keep it around for a while.

No comments: