Thursday, April 21, 2016

ACL 2016 Lineup Predictions: Spreadsheet Insanity

If you want to go back through all of my ACL predictions for 2016, go to the ACL 2016 Tab up above for the collected links.

In thinking about my Way Too Early Predictions post, I was wishing to myself that I had stronger data that I could use to make slightly better informed guesses about the lineup.  In general, I like the predictions I made, but as a data nerd and spreadsheet lover, I wanted to see if I could up my game on that front.  Which is when I fell into the rabbit hole that is this spreadsheet.  The night that I finished this thing, my eyeballs wanted to bleed.

What you have here is a spreadsheet showing all of the performers for the Big Four Festivals from 2011 through 2016.  Someday I'll go further back, but this is all a foolish waste of time and I had to limit it somehow to maintain sanity.  For now, it includes the new Lollapalooza lineup, but obviously doesn't have the 2016 lineup for ACL yet.

Caveat: I know that there is some data missing from here, because every once in a while I noted that a band I'd seen at ACL was not marked for that year.  I think the websites listing historical lineups may not have been updated over time so that later additions to lineups may have been missing.  But this is the best I was able to do with the Internet I've got.

Of note from here so far, there are several bands that are playing the other big three (Coachella, Lolla, and Bonnaroo), so I'd say they have a pretty good chance of ending up on our lineup as well:
  • Chris Stapleton.  Agreed, I figured this one.
  • Ellie Goulding.  Same.
  • Halsey.  I doubt it, since she played ACL last year.  But, she also played Lolla last year and is back for another bite.
  • LCD Soundsystem.  Yep, the band that must play all festivals in 2016.  It's law.
  • M83.  Again, the band that shall play all festivals.  And they just played Stubb's, so I bet they'll be here.
  • Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats.  Yep.
  • Vince Staples.  Doubt it since he was here last year.
There are a bunch of bands playing only two of the other big ones, so that would be more of a maybe:
  • Years & Years. Played here last year, so I doubt it.
  • X Ambassadors.  Almost certain to keep pushing their short moment in the sun.
  • Wolf Alice.  I hope so, even though they played second weekend last year.
  • Two Door Cinema Club.  Last played ACL in 2012, so why the heck not?
  • Third Eye Blind.  I figured this was a joke with 'Roo, but maybe not now?
  • The Last Shadow Puppets.  New album, buzz from having an Arctic Monkey in the band, I think yes.
  • The Front Bottoms.  Uhhhh.  I like the band name.
  • The Chainsmokers.  I'd have said yes previously, but if they aren't playing Lolla, then maybe not?
  • The Arcs.  I'd have predicted yes, but not so sure since they are playing another Austin Festival this year.  Hope they come, I dig it.
  • The 1975.  Hope not, but I suspect we'll get them.
  • Tchami.  God bless you.
  • St. Lucia.  I was hoping this was a different band.  Electro means likely we have to have them.
  • Silversun Pickups.  Sounds right, predicted them previously.
  • Saint Motel.  I hope so, their music is fun.
  • Purity Ring.  Same here.  And the last time Roo and Coach had them (in 2013, ACL had them too)
  • Miike Snow.  Not into them from what I know, but seems likely.  Although, the last time they were booked for Coach and Lolla at the same time (2012), they didn't do ACL.
  • Mavis Staples.  That would be tight.
  • Major Lazer.  Sigh.  Probably.
  • Lord Huron.  Sadly, likely not because he was here last year.  Loved it though, saw him both weekends.
  • Lettuce.  Get Funky!
  • Leon Bridges.  I vote yes, despite him being here last year.  We need him again!
  • Kurt Vile & the Violators.  Likely not since he was here last year.
  • J. Cole.  I bet we'll have him.  Good, but my only hope is that he's down on the 5th line or so.
  • Haim.  Likely, they haven't been in a few years.
  • Griz.  Doubt it since he was here last year.
  • Grimes.  Sure, makes sense.
  • G-Eazy.  I'd say I doubt it since he was here last year, but he also played Lolla last year and is on the lineup for this year too.  Who knows?
  • Foals.  Yes, I'm feeling it.
  • Flume.  Sure, also feeling that one.
  • Flosstradamus.  Doubt it, since they were here in 2015.
  • Fidlar.  Same, here last year.
  • Disclosure.  Ditto.
  • Daughter.  Same again.
  • Con Brio.  Also a last year ACL band.
  • Chvrches.  Would enjoy seeing them again, but not sure if they'd come right back after 2014.  In 2014, they played all four of the majors, but they're not slated to play Lolla this year.  Seems to show they won't be here.
  • Borns.  Played ACL last year.
  • Big Grams.  Fully expect them to be here.
  • Alessia Cara.  Yes, expect her to be at ACL.
  • Also, groups I have nothing to say about right now: Zhu, Snakehips, Snails, Skepta, Shamir, Rufus Du Sol, RL Grime, Oh Wonder, Mr. Carmack, Louis the Child, Lolawolf, Lapsley, Kamasi Washington, Jarryd James, Ibeyi, Haelos, Frances, Cloves, Cashmere Cat, Bob Moses, Autolux, AlunaGeorge, Adventure Club, AC Slater.
I think those ones with the sweep up above are pretty likely except for Staples and Halsey.  On the second group, I'm guessing Alessia Cara, Big Grams, Flume, Foals, Grimes, Haim, Major Lazer, Miike Snow, Purity Ring, Silversun Pickups, The 1975, the Last Shadow Puppets, and the X Ambassadors.  We shall find out soon!

No comments: