Thursday, June 4, 2015

Moon Taxi (updated)

All in on my enjoyment of this band.  I predicted they would show up here after they were added to the Lolla lineup this year, and I have extolled some of their virtues in the past.  Hard for me to explain in more detail than I did in that "past" post, but at least here I can provide you with a few links to music so that you can judge for yourself.

This is a Nashville rock and roll band that puts on a hell of a live show.  Pure energy bomb the last time I saw them.  Two full albums and one live EP available on Spotify.  My favorite song, and the third most popular in their Spotify page, is from 2011's Cabaret, and is called "Mercury"
Their music is tuneful, funky, and easy to rock out along with.  And in my recollection of their live show, they all just sweat and grind and bounce off of the walls - no boring standing around going on.  320k views on YouTube, 1.3 million Spotify listens.  Their most listened to track is from 2013's Mountains Beaches Cities album, and is called "Morocco"
A little more of a breezy tune, with a good singalong chorus for a crowd.  Just over 1.8 million Spotify spins and 209k YouTube plays.  This music is right up in my wheelhouse - I've been jamming these two albums ever since I found out about these cats two years ago at the ACL aftershow.  My one gripe, I can't say I'm into the Matisyahu rap on Caberet's "Square Circles," but otherwise that album is right on.  Looking forward to this one.

UPDATE:  A new single, released sometime around mid-July 2015, called "Make Your Mind Up."
Does it sound to anyone else kind of like an EDM anthem?  That synth lick under the chorus and then during the break before the verse really sounds like something off of an Avicii track.  Not so sure about that, but I can imagine this being a fun one to dance around to during their show.  New album will be coming out soon.

No comments: