Monday, June 8, 2015

Sheppard

You have likely heard their big hit, unless you are the kind of radio listener I'd like to be who never has to listen to the Top 40 station.  In which case, bully on you.  The band of six Aussies (several are siblings, I'll give you one guess on their last name) has one album, 2015's Bombs Away.  In general terms, the album goes between breezy, light pop rock and more aggressively poppy electronic-steeped rock.  That big hit, "Geronimo," is a little more driving Mumford rock, and clocks in with over 136 million listens on Spotify.
Not my favorite of the one hit wonder type bands, but I think I'm also swayed by the fact that my kids no none of the lyrics other than "SAY, GERONIMO!" which they are very loud about yelping, off the beat, when the song gets to the chorus.  Sheppard, its really not your fault that my kids can annoy me.
The second most popular and listened to track on Spotify has 5.5 million listens (after these two, and a remix of Geronimo, nothing else cracks a million) and is called "Let Me Down Easy."  Here is the breezy pop side I was talking about:
Very pleasant.  Not really giving me much to remember it by, but nice for the five or six listens I've given it.  On the other hand, you should avoid listening to "A Grade Playa," which is a terrible kiss off song that sounds like old-school Debbie Gibson but with current lyrics about the guy being a "playa" and "hater."  "Shake It Off" had some shine talking about the haters, this one is not so good. "Find Someone" sticks in the same vein of kiss-off songs, but I actually kind of like that one.

In the end, not that interested in these cats.  The word that keeps sticking in my mind is pleasant. Relatively simple tunes with nice lyrics, but nothing really stands out to me all that much.  We'll see how the schedule shakes out.

No comments: