Thursday, June 11, 2015

Daughter

Hushed folk indie with an electronic edge.  Yet another band fronted by a lady - I've been randomly choosing bands from the middle of the poster and feel like I've been on a run of lady singers.  The band's top song rings a bell, like I've already heard it before, maybe from the movie A Long Way Down.  Regardless, it is a hell of a song.  Here is "Youth"
Over 42 million listens on Spotify, just over 4 million YouTube hits, and a great sound of gentle picking building up into an urgent rock.  "We are the reckless, we are the wild youth.  Chasing visions of our futures."  I also liked "Setting fire to our insides for fun."  Pretty song and good sound.

The band has one album and a couple of older EPs.  2013's album If You Leave includes "Youth" as well as a handful of other tunes with more than 10 million listens on Spotify, but their His Young Heart EP has their second most listened to track, called "Landfill," with almost 14.3 million.  Here is an NPR Tiny Desk version of that track:
So very beautiful.  And the rest of this EP is similarly killer stuff - "The Woods" is just amazing sounding.  If this kind of touching, soulful indie is your thing, then you'll want to try out that 2013 album as well, because it is good stuff too.  I don't know how well this will translate into a festival stage, but I think I'd like to find out.

No comments: