Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Suffers

A ten piece soul band from Houston.  I honestly thought I'd be hearing some sort of punk/metal band from the name of the group.  Instead, pleasantly surprised about this sound.  One tune has a ton of spins on Spotify - "Make Some Room," which is a straight shot of soul lovin'.
The video is kind of adorable.  That might be the first time I have used that word on this blog.  But its a sugar sweet song with a tight groove behind it, and sounds so fine.  Make me a sandwich and michelada!  I'm in!  With over 385k spins on Spotify, that track has almost 10x the listens of anything else they have.  I dig it.

The second most popular track on Spotify for them is called "Gwan," which they got to perform live on Letterman in March 2015.  They bring the funk on this thing:
Kam Franklin, that lead singer, brings the noise.  "I said gwan!"  The powerful crooning of "Make Some Room," and then the thunder of "Gwan," she's got it going.  They just have one EP out, 2015's Make Some Room, and then a two song single from 2013.  But the band backing her brings it as well - fun sound and cool find.

No comments: