Thursday, May 28, 2015

Halsey {Updated}

Dark-sounding electronic pop.  Like a depressing sounding Chvrches from last year's lineup.  She has one EP of five songs, and then a handful of remixes of those songs.  All but one of those tracks has over a million spins on Spotify, and the top one has over six million, so she's getting some buzz. That top song, "Ghost" is here:
That girl be cray, yo.  According to Billboard, she was the most mentioned artist on Twitter during this year's SXSW.  If you want to go deep into the rabbithole of insanity that is pop teen fandom, go search for Halsey with Five Seconds of Summer (or 5sos if you are super cool like me) and descend into the insanity.  Apparently, like, Halsey took a Instagram with Ashton from 5sos, but Ash was like totally supposed to be in love with me, cause he said so in that one song I bought, and now I'm so confused and scared that he may not like me anymore, but it was gonna be 4eva, and what if he doesn't and I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!! <emoticon hearts and knives and guns and bombs x infinity>

The second most listened to song is called "Hurricane," and I think I like it better than "Ghost." Clocks in at 1.8 million Spotify listens and 870k YouTube watches.
Woah!  That video was a prequel to the other one!  Mind blown!
I just checked her website, and this, literally, is her entire bio: "I am Halsey. I will never be anything but honest. I write songs about sex and being sad."  Ugh.  Hollywood Sadcore time.  These few tunes are fine - I like them well enough - but I doubt I'll try to go see her play at the festival.

[Updated on 7/24/15]  She has released two new singles, presumably off of an upcoming album to be released soon.  The most recent one, "New Americana," is a youth anthem with a pretty catchy chorus about being the new Americana, high on legal marijuana, raised on Biggie and Nirvana.  I actually like it.
I can see that being a crowd pleaser at the festival - all the children raising their various marijuana accouterments to the sky to cheer their role in the new America.

No comments: