Saturday, August 1, 2015

FIDLAR

Lo-fi skate punk.  One album, two EPs, a few singles, and a lot of damn fun.  The opening track to their full length (2013's FIDLAR) is called "Cheap Beer," and with zero irony, they just chug right on through a two minute blast of "I DRINK CHEAP BEER, SO WHAT, F*CK YOU!"  It's kinda awesome.  Elsewhere on the album, they get more melodic and go lean just a touch into the pop realm, but you wouldn't seriously call this pop punk at all.  Grimy and raw, they barely crack 3 minutes on any song.
The most listened-to track on Spotify is "No Waves," from that 2013 album, with almost 2.6 million listens.
That video is super OK.  Made me laugh.  And the track is good too - loose but driving, feels like you should pogo and spill drinks on people.  "Cheap Beer" is their second most listened-to track, but I'm going to break out this other one that I thought was pretty good. Here is "Awkward," clocking in with just over a million listens on Spotify, and winner of the best cover art award.
Reminds me of The Pixies and Sum 41.  "I'll probably end up f**kin' up and make it super awkward!"

And just because this one is called "I Just Want to Die (ft. the Los Angeles Fire Department)," I feel like we all need to watch it together.
That tune is not on any of the album/EPs available on Spotify.  Sounds like 80's new wave.  Kinda funny.  And overall, I dug jamming these dudes for the past two days.  I got really busy at work and was too lazy to look up the next band to hear, but they are a fun blast of do-it-yourself sneer.  We'll see how the schedule works out, but it might be fun to go see them tear things up.

No comments: