Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Aubrie Sellers

One Liner: Good country-fied rock from Lee Ann Womack's daughter

Poster Position: 22

Thoughts:  I reviewed her debut album a few weeks ago and liked it a lot.  She is the daughter of Lee Ann Womack, who is not a country artist I have ever listened to or given much thought about (although when searching for her just now I see that she sings that song "I Hope You Dance," which is actually a pretty boss song, even if I don't know any of the rest of her music).  This is more of that style of country music that sounds a bit more rock and blues and enjoyable to me than the otherwise unpleasant Nashville sound.  I'd trace that lineage back to Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris and then up to Kacey Musgraves and now Aubrie Sellers and Margo Price.  Its good music.

Just the one album, 2016's New City Blues, and three songs from that album are getting a lot of play, while the rest of the disc is chilling out at the 15k to 38k range.  The most listened-to is "Losing Ground," but I linked to that track on my last post, and it is now third in popularity anyway.  The top track right now is the rock and roll swagger of "Light of Day, which has about 228k listens on Spotify.
Right on.  And then the second most popular track on Spotify right now takes off right where that one left off, with a rockin' kiss off called "Sit Here and Cry."
Her backing band is a great soul blues rock thing - nothing flashy and no big dumb guitar solo moments like some bro country nightmare - just solid jamming.  The rest of the album has that same vibe, lyrically and sometimes musically it is country, but you would be OK with guessing it was a blues rock record as well.  I like this stuff a lot and would go see her play if she happened in a good time slot.

No comments: