Tuesday, June 28, 2016

HALFTIME-ISH!!!

Holy crap, dude.  I just counted up that I've reviewed 51 of the artists coming to weekend 1.  I'm getting there!  A few great artists, a bunch of good ones, and a few clunkers that I don't care for, but overall I'm liking this year's lineup the more that I do.

The sucky part of doing all of this is that I'm ignoring the new releases by some of my favorite artists - I still haven't heard the new Red Hot Chili Peppers or Paul Simon, nor have I tried the new Drake (which is apparently smashing records for most listened to album ever, UGH) or Chance the Rapper or The Monkees or Fitz & the Tantrums or Mudcrutch or the cool sounding Dead tribute Day of the Dead.  SO MUCH TO HEAR!!!

I know this was like two weeks ago, but I was on vacation and have been busy ever since, but the day by day lineup has been announced.  I care less about that announcement than I do about the actual schedule when you can get pissed off about conflicts and then deal with it and plan your day.  I can already tell that I'm annoyed about Sunday night, as Mumford, Chris Stapleton, Haim, Local Natives, and Nathaniel Rateliff all appear to be at the end of the day, which sucks.  

Also of note, I hadn't thought about this or noticed it yet, but it appears that there is no more Austin Kiddie Limits at the Festival.  All of the bottom-of-the-poster people are gospel now, with none being the godawful Q Brothers or the kinda fun Big Don or the kick ass Residual Kid.  I wonder what happened there?  I actually walked in there last year to hear Residual Kid, and it was kind of a cool area.

The new replacement for Fun Fun Fun Fest, Sound on Sound, released their lineup today, and I am a little underwhelmed.  I mean, I know they aren't trying to compete with ACL or anything, but last year their lineup had some absolutely badass stuff, with Lauren Hill, Wu Tang Clan, Jane's Addiction, Chvrches, L7, Schoolboy Q, and some other cool stuff.  The lineup this year isn't bad, but it just doesn't come close to last year with Beach House, Explosions in the Sky, and Phantogram as the top three artists.  Courtney Barnett is cool, as are Big Boi, Run the Jewels, Purity Ring, Bob Mould, and Baroness.  Oh wait, Diarrhea Planet is playing!  They are awesome.  As is Monkeywrench (at least what I recall of them from 20-something years ago when I bought their album).  More importantly than the lineup, the festival is in Bastrop at the freaking Renaissance Fair place.  So they could have jousting and Game of Thrones cosplay and wenches with titties and stuff.  This could be awesome.  I need to convince my wife that she'd like it and then just go out there and tear it up.

To follow up on my posts about Prince, Guy Clark, and Bowie, up yours, 2016.  Now Ralph Stanley is gone.  The O.G. bluegrass guy.  Such a stud.  His contributions to the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack were the best.

OK, back to the action, I've got another crappy electro band to review!

No comments: