Thursday, June 30, 2016

Marlon Williams

One Liner: New Zealand's answer to throwback-style country

Poster Position: 16

Thoughts: Weird name, made me think he was a Wayans brother for some reason.  But, pretty cool sound on this dude.  Two 2014 albums of laid-back country classic sound with someone called Delaney Davidson, and then one album (2016's Marlon Williams) that is similarly chilled but hits more indie music notes among the country sounds.  Definitely country/bluegrass influenced, makes me think of a quiet Lord Huron who listened to Jimmy Dale Gilmour and the Old 97's as a kid.  And "When I Was a Young Girl" sounds like a Jeff Buckley cover.  It is a pretty solid sound, with a nice voice.

The most listened to track is from that new album.  The track is called "Dark Child" with 520k streams.
That video is disturbing and weird.  Is it a commentary on how many peoples' kids die? Then I'm not sure why one mom happily gets tossed in the pile of bodies?  So confused. But the song is a beaut.  The end makes me think of noises Smashing Pumpkins made on Siamese Dream.  His second most listened to track goes for a more high and lonesome, propulsive sound.  This is "Hello Miss Lonesome," with 347k listens.
Fight club for lovers, including an odd rubber baldhead thing and some nudity action from this singer. Okey doke!  Also I think he looks like Miles Teller from Whiplash.  Cool song, another flippin' weird video.

Back on the two country discs (Sad But True and then Sad But True Vol. 3, no evidence of a Vol. 2 on Spotify), there is one song that I loved, called "First There Was a Demon."  Like one of those Johnny Cash or Robert Earl Keen laments about being bad and doing bad things and then paying for it.
This one isn't in his top ten of popularity and only has 7,601 streams on Spotify, but I love it. Great sound and imagery.  "Let me hang up there a while" and "If you don't respect me, fucka, death's the price you pay!"  I really like this guy.  The more I listen to it, the more I dig it.  His voice is lovely, kind of a throw back to Elvis or Chris Isaak or Don Edwards, just pure sounding and nice.  I could go check him out live for sure.

No comments: