Friday, June 24, 2016

Miike Snow

One Liner: Swedish electro pop indie with one too many vowels

Poster Position: 6


Thoughts:  Interesting factoid that you may already know but I did not, is that two of these three dudes used to be the Grammy-winning production team Bloodshy & Avant, who made hits like Britney Spears' "Toxic" and others for Madonna, Katy Perry, David Guetta, Rob Thomas, and J. Lo. Why do I hate Rob Thomas so much?  I think it is all because of that Santana collabo.  Man, I hate that song.  Anyway, these dudes are Swedish.  Well, they don't leave behind that pop hook production mindset in this other band, as these songs are similarly poppy and nothing at all what I thought they would sound like when I first started listening.  I thought this would be straight indie music.


The biggest streams for the group is "Animal," which was on their 2009 debut album called Miike Snow.  At 53.4 million streams, it just about doubles up the next closest track.
That video looks like something on access TV that some high school kids made for $38 during 4th period.  Song really doesn't do much for me either.  Their second most listened-to track is from their new album, 2016's iii, which has 27 million streams and hit #6 on the U.S. Alternative charts.
Love that video, pretty awesome dance between the bad guy and the Bond guy.  I guess Genghis Khan was a jealous dude?  Or he was gay and a great dancer?  Not sure.  Still liked the video though. Some of this music reminds me of Adam Levine, and for me that is not an especially good thing. Some reminds me of Vampire Weekend ("Vase," for one), which is a better thing.  But I think the main problem are the songs like "Pretender" or "Paddling Out," where the music is just a generic sounding Moby beat from 1997 that is just uninteresting.  Maybe they are epic to see live?  Seems lame to me.  They are up there on the sixth row of the poster, so you'd think they are pretty big, but I'm just not feeling it after several runs through their top songs and then a listen to each of the three albums.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I'm MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE SNOW!