Friday, June 17, 2016

Bayonne

One Liner: Electro indie that I won't remember in 3 minutes.

Poster Position: 19


Thoughts:  This is the kind of music that is ruining Discover Weekly for me.  I wish there was a way for me to tell Spotify to ignore certain bands that I listen to for this blog, so that it wouldn't think that I really want to listen to twee electronic indie by guys with face-spanning mustaches.  But because I've listened to eight of these kinds of bands recently for this blog, now I'm going to get a bunch of this kind of music - Spotify called his music "textured art songs," uuuuugggggghhhh. He's apparently from Spring, Texas, so hopefully his parents are currently swimming in their living room.


His top two songs for streaming are, confusingly, the same song, with "Spectrolite" (with a purple cover) at 349k streams and "Spectrolite" (with a white cover) at 243k.  That is either the influence of Prince's death, racism, or the fault of colorblind hipsters.  BTW, this video has 8040 (now 8041) views total.  So the guy isn't burning it up outside of Spotify.
However, if you read the YouTube comments about this song, this is "amazing," "incredible," "holy jesus fuck this is incredible," "my favorite song this month," and "bad ass!!!"  So I must be missing the boat on the unimpeachable amazing virtues of this music.  I feel so alone.

His Spotify bio says that he built an established fan base in Austin, Texas with his live shows, although Austin is not in his top five for Spotify streams (and he doesn't show up on a YouTube artist insight search).  Who knows, maybe there is a rabid group of Austinites who are PSYCHED about him coming to ACL.  He's got one album - 2016's Primitives, and his second most listened to track on Spotify is from that album, called "Waves."
70k listens on Spotify.  9,777 views on YouTube.  Whatever.  This guy is not in my wheelhouse for tunes, I can get how this might be enjoyable to listen to but I'm not feeling it and likely won't go see him play live.

No comments: