Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Wild Belle

One Liner: Indie pop with enough reggae tinge to be cool.

Poster Position: 14

Thoughts:  Kind of a weird mix of music.  Some tunes are more straightforward indie pop, then others have a legit reggae beat, which is pretty damn groovy, but then they also sound like indie tunes you'd hear in an Urban Outfitters.  Their most popular song (that isn't a Major Lazer song featuring them) is "Keep You," from 2013's Isles, at 9.7 million streams.

Poor girl, she just wants to stalk you, little man.  And the rest of their top five songs all have this kind of vibe too, some are less overtly reggae, and maybe just have that kind of flavor under the beat.   That "Keep You" song is from their older album, but their new album's most popular song (which lyrically checks some old Eazy E and therefore is kinda tight) is "Throw Down Your Guns," which has 2.1 million streams.
The 10 year old Jack would have loved this tune and gotten all riled up about how we should totally have gun control because a pop song told me so.  Same way I thought the aborigines got a raw deal because of Midnight Oil.  Although I will say it looked pretty cool when they dumped all those used shell casings.  But hold on.  You're telling me you took all those bad ass looking uzis and shit and turned them into some music bowls?  This is garbage.  We should sell those guns to Nic Cage to see what he can get for them on the open market.

I like both of those songs that I've linked to up above, and in talking to a teen last week, I've learned that this band is bitchin' cool and plays a good live show.  Of the two albums, I generally liked the 2013 one more than the 2016 one, but "Throw Down Your Guns" is pretty tight.  I dunno.  But maybe I'll give them a shot.  

No comments: