Monday, June 27, 2016

Banks & Steelz

One Liner: Wu Tang meets Interpol for a pretty cool mash

Poster Position: 9

Thoughts:  So this is a group that was not originally on the poster for the fest, but was more recently added to the lineup.  Unfortunately, their album doesn't come out until August, so all Spotify gives me is two singles, "Giant" and "Love and War (ft. Ghostface Killah)."  "Giant" is the most recent release (June 10) and yet already has 219k listens in just a few weeks.
Kind of a cool thing, taking an upbeat rock track and then sticking RZA over the top with some rhymes.  I won't say that RZA is my favorite Wu Tang guy, but he's pretty cool sounding here. Anytime I hear a rock and rap collaboration it brings the Judgment Night Soundtrack to mind, which was super awesome.  This one reminds me of the Mudhoney and Sir Mix-a-lot track "Freak Momma."

The other track features Ghostface, who is my favorite of the Wu rappers, so I'm on board with that immediately.  312k listens on Spotify.
Glenn from Walking Dead!  Getting bitch slapped with a kilo of brown horse!  This backing track is less exciting, but the rapping is solid.  Pretty good.  I'll have to reserve a further judgment until the full album comes out, but just based on these two tracks, I'm liking the project.

No comments: