Monday, June 6, 2016

New Madrid

One Liner: What kind of band is My Morning Jacket?  Then yeah, these guys are good at that.

Poster Position: 24


Thoughts:  Very cool jammy, melodic band.  I like the sound.  I hear My Morning Jacket and Band of Horses in sound, a little less ambitious than MMJ, but I hear the echoes in this repeatedly. Especially in their second album.  And with MMJ comparisons also come some Dead feels, and with those Dead feels I note a hint of Phish in their first album.  I bet there is a family tree somewhere out there that shows who made who in the psych rock indie world...  (unfortunately, there is a jam band called "Family Tree," so any search for that fails to give me what I want in 3 seconds, so I'm moving on).

The band is Athens, GA-based, which always brings R.E.M. to mind, but I don't think you get much of that in here, more of an indie-garage-psych thing, that sounds really good.  They've got three albums, 2012's Yardboat, 2014's Sunswimmer, and 2016's magnetkingmagnetqueen.  That new album is a little odd, in that it bounces back and forth between 2 minute nugget songs and then long form sessions like the 11 minute long "Guay Lo."
Their most listened-to track on Spotify is from their first album, with 478k listens, and is called "Country Moon, Pt. 1."
I couldn't find a studio version on YouTube, but that sounds close enough to the original to be fine.  I like the sound.  A little noodle-y, a little jam-ish, pretty nice.  The second most listened-to track is from the Sunswimmer album and is called "Forest Gum"
266k listens, and more of a garage rock indie sound, but still sounds like Jim James making it happen to me.  This whole album might be my favorite of what they are doing, even though the final two songs on the album total 23 minutes, which is a little annoyingly long.  Not many people are listening to the new album yet, most of the tracks are under 10k, except for one, "Darker Parts," with 21k.
Overall, I'm liking what they are putting down.  I think their band name is misleading, but I'm into the sound here.  I'll try to go give them a shot if I get the chance.

No comments: