Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Saint Motel

One Liner: Sunny pop rock purveyors who created "My Type"

Poster Position: 11 (why do I feel like I've put "11" in this slot 40 times?)

Thoughts:  This is who I was thinking of when I played St. Lucia.  <Billy Crystal voice> Ah HA!  So, these dudes made one of my favorite tunes of 2014, the buoyantly fun and shiny "My Type."  I think I found that track because of Keith Law's great playlists and musical tastes, so I'll shout out to him.  This track is, by far, their most popular tune (45.8 M spins), and for good reason.
So much funky sax.  So much cowbell.  So much funky bassline.  You need to strip off your long and flowy coverup dress thing that looks like the colors of the ocean and then groove in your hip huggers until you must knock over pineapples and cavort on a coffee table.  These things are biological and cannot be stopped.  This makes me think of the Shut Up and Dance With Me people from last year who had one kick ass song that had to be enjoyed.

They've got one album, maybe two, with a 6-song offering from 2009 (ForPlay) and the 2012's Voyeur.  Interestingly, the 2009 album/EP is more straight-forward rock/alternative, as opposed to what you are hearing on the 2012 album or the 2014 My Type EP.  Kind of reminds me of Cage the Elephant now that I have been listening to them a bunch.  Here is a track from that early album, "Butch."
I like that song quite a bit too, even though it it nothing like the "My Type" action.  The 2012 album is a little less rocking, and starts to feel a little more like the rollicking goodness of the new single.  Well, not new, I figure these guys are going to put out new music before the 'fest since their newest stuff is 2014.  But here is a good song to bridge the gap between "Butch" and "My Type," called "Puzzle Pieces."
Another nice pop rock tune that is enough to want me to get moving.  I keep hearing Morrissey in the vocal tone of the singer.  I'd go see these guys do their thing, and am curious to hear what else they get going before the fall.

2 comments:

Joseph Cathey said...

My Type is the JAM!

Though what's up with all these "Saint" bands...I'm old and get confused easily.

Jack said...

Agreed man, and that is before you get to songs (Kanye's Saint Pablo or Foo Fighters' Saint Cecilia) or albums (Whitesnake's Saints & Sinners and Motley Crue's Saints of Los Angeles). We're all so religious in the musics!