Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Bibi Bourelly

One Liner: R&B/ Alternative-Soul-Almost-Rap stuff with interesting lyrics at times.
Wikipedia Genre: Soul, alternative R&B
Spotify Says Similar To: R.LUM.R and Kyle Dion
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: 13

Slot: Sunday at 12:30

Thoughts: The name made me think I was about to get some world music action, but the very first second of the most popular song quickly disavowed me of that thought, with a synth chord and an autotuned "yeahuhh, awww, yeah yeah yeah."  To which my immediate reaction was negative, until I heard the first few bars of the song: "I got fired from Old Navy, landlord keeps on knocking, swear that ni**a hates me, sleepin' on this old couch, but shit I'm not complaining, 'cause I'm still a pimp tho, like there's mulah raining."  It's surprising and kind of awesome.  Here is that most popular track, called "Ballin," which has 11.8 million streams.
Kind of reminds me of Kamaiyah from last yeah, bragging like she's rich but admitting that she actually doesn't have shit.  I like it.  I'd like it even more if the beat were a little more interesting, instead of that pretty staid click/trap/bass type thing.
Her Spotify bio shows that she has co-written songs with Rihanna ("Bitch Better Have My Money"), someone named Nick Brewer, Selena Gomez, Usher, and was featured on a Lil Wayne track.  Makes sense, as the songwriting was what caught my attention right away. Her voice is great as well, but its just more of the usual R&B temptress vocals.  It's the lyrics that are more interesting.
A lot of the other songs are more acoustic guitar driven, and some definitely sound like Rihanna ("What If," for sure), so here is one of those acoustic driven ones, her second most popular at 6.1 million streams.  This is "Ego."
You hear that Rihanna lilt to her voice?  I definitely do (although I'm not the world's biggest RiRi fan, so maybe not?).  The gal is definitely empowered, that is for sure.
She doesn't have a proper album, just two EPs (2016's Free the Real Pt. #1 and 2016's Free the Real Pt. #2; I'm not a fan of how she calls them Part Number 1 and Part Number 2, that is weird), and then an album of remixes for "Ballin" that are mediocre.  Interesting stuff, but probably not.

Recommend?  I kind of like these tracks, but not really my type of tunes.

No comments: