Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Aces (2017)

One Liner: Snappy pop indie girl group that I like despite myself
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia page, going with pop rock?
Spotify Says Similar To: Machineheart and Ralph
Home: Utah

Poster Position: none, new addition.

Slot: Friday at 1:15 pm

Thoughts:  Interesting, in that Wikipedia has "Ace (band)," which is a 1970's British rock group, "The Aces (blues band)," "The Aces (Jamaican group)," and a buttload of other uses for the name Aces, but none are the Provo, Utah-based girl group who comes up on Spotify, which is also the band described on the ACL bio.  They should probably consider a new band name.  Two sisters and then two other childhood friends, who apparently cut their teeth in music playing all ages and alcohol-free shows in Utah.  Only one four song EP, that sounds kind of like the dance rock pop of HAIM.  Check their second most listened-to track, "Physical," which has racked up 1.6 million streams.
Sounds like something I've heard before from Days Are Gone, but who the hell cares, that tune is kind of a jam.  I can easily see them getting the crowd bouncing to that tune at the Festival.  I'd dance like Molly Ringwald to it.  I just went back and has another listen before finally posting this, and yes, still makes me bob my head and want to groove.
Their most popular tune is called "Stuck," and fires up 3.6 million streams on Spotify.  According to their bio, its a tune about toxic relationships.  
More of that kind of disco-fied pop dance music.  And not that I'm a drummer or anything, but you'd have to think that the girl behind the kit is pretty bored in both of these songs.  But both of those are undeniable little dance nuggets.  They have a handful of YouTube videos of behind the scenes for filming videos and interviews and whatnot, and they seem like pretty down-to-earth ladies.  Although when I look at the screen-capture for that video, it looks like Aubrey Plaza fronts this band, but then when she is out of her makeup, she looks like a regular senior in high school out to walk the dog.

I'll probably be watching Band of Heathens, or maybe Sigrid, instead, but I could make a case for going and enjoying these ladies for a good time dance party.

No comments: