Monday, August 7, 2017

Joseph (2017)

One Liner: Beautiful harmonies from a trio of sisters
Wikipedia Genre: Pop, folk
Spotify Says Similar To: Birdtalker and The Harmaleighs
Home: Portland, OR

Poster Position: 10

Slot: Friday, ?

Thoughts:  Remember First Aid Kit?  Yeah, you could pretty well play these tunes for me and tell me they were the new FAK album and I likely wouldn't notice.  I reviewed their most recent album (2016's I'm Alone, No You're Not) previously, and I'm still entirely on board. The album is lovely, steeped in all the tight harmonies that can be spun into the digital ether. The top track, by quite a bit, is "White Flag," with 11.2 million streams.
Great track, makes me want to jump up and be POWERFUL!  UP YOURS!  I'M DOING MY DAMN THING!  Their second-most listened-to track is also from the new album, here is "SOS (Overboard)," which clocks in at 6.7 million streams.
Another one that is a little peppier and poppier than the First Aid Kit comparison.  This was why I said that they were somewhere between FAK and HAIM in my previous post about this album.  To give you a taste of the super chilled angle of their tunes, here is the album opener, "Canyon."
Oh man, just wrap me up right inside of that soft, smooth, snuggly blanket of harmony and wake me up in January 2021.  I need to quit my job and go work for NPR just so I can see all of the Tiny Desk concerts in person.  That would be the best job that has ever been jobbed.
When they do "White Flag," and first get to the chorus, and yell it out, I broke out in immediate goose bumps.  So good.  For some reason, I love the sisterly dynamic here on that first track, with big sister Natalie doing the bulk of the singing and all the guitar work, while the younger sister twins weave harmonies and details and make the songs more interesting.  That second song is called "I Don't Mind," and it has so much damn real deal sadness.  Love it.

I'd go check these guys out in the Fall.  

[EDIT] They have released a new album (or maybe considered an EP because it is short) called Stay Awake, and it is more really good stuff.  The two killer tracks on here, to me, are the covers of the Stones "Moonlight Mile" and Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."  Gimme some more of that harmonic perfection.
Yeah, man.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

My first band kicks ass.