Thursday, August 24, 2017

Billy Raffoul

One Liner: Soulful lite rock guy from Canada who apparently likes cars
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia page, going with rock?
Spotify Says Similar To: Noah Kahan and Loote
Home: Ontario

Poster Position: none, new addition.

Slot: Sunday at 11:45 am

Thoughts:  Only two songs to judge him by, but its a pretty nice, soulful sort of rock.  His dad apparently won the 2006 Bon Jovi “Have a Nice Gig” competition, which led to him opening for a weird bunch of artists, with The Allman Brothers, Joe Cocker, Counting Crows, and Chris Isaak on one end of the spectrum, and Kid Rock, Nickelback, and Uncle Kracker over on the other end.  Weird.  Anyway, this is that dude's son.  I'd say that, of that list, the kid is more Joe Cocker than Kid Rock.  With only two songs, let's give 'em a listen, shall we?  First up, "Dark Four Door," his most recent single, which has 847k streams and kind of creeps me out.
I'M LOOKING FOR YOU.  Don't think you can hide that dark four door car from me, because I'm hunting for you and I WILL FIND YOU.  Something about his vocal delivery is very full, like Meatloaf or, well, maybe Joe Cocker.  Then, his more popular tune is "Driver," which cranks up 2.4 million streams.
The rotation in that video makes me feel sick.  Weird that both songs have to do with cars/driving.  I wonder if he works in a mechanic's shop somewhere and just soulfully sings his tunes to himself and scribbles down song ideas on the whitewalls before he installs them facing in.  And, seems like that video must have cost some coin, or else he has a really good CGI guy who owes him some money (for free whitewall installation).

These songs are fine, but I'm not going to be there before noon on Sunday, so I won't be seeing this guy.

No comments: