Friday, June 29, 2018

Molly Burch

One Liner: Torchy tunes with a sad bend but a nice voice.
Wikipedia Genre: Indie pop, Indie rock
Home:  Austin

Poster Position: 24

Day: Saturday at Noon
Weekend One Only.

Thoughts: Her name sounds familiar, like she is a DJ on the local radio or something.  Wikipedia doesn't mention that, but I found this saying she had done an hour of guest DJing at KUTX.  I wonder if I actually happened across that and it stayed in my brain?  Weird.  

Anywho, this is kind of throwback sounding torchy music - lovely voice, simple arrangements, Nina Simone or Lana Del Rey without the electronics.  Or Mallory from Natural Born Killers when she sings in jail.  I had my daughter up here at the office yesterday and was still listening to this one, and she listened intently for about 5 seconds, asked me what I was listening to, and then said "this song is, uh, OK?"  So, not a ringing endorsement from a ten year old.

One album 2017's Please Be Mine, and the top track in her Spotify is the title track from that same album.  Just over a million streams.
I mean, its damn pretty.  Sad as shit.  But super lovely to listen to.

Her second-most streamed tune is called "Downhearted," and appears originally on a two song single (also called Downhearted) that popped up in 2016.  It is also the album opener on her new disc.  About 1.1 million streams.
Another with that kind of surfy guitar, her torchy vocals, and sad ass lyrics.  I've left this playing in my office for a few days, and its quite nice to have going on in the background.  I don't know that I'd necessarily want to see it at a festival, seems like you'd be all bummed out by the end and needing a couple stiff cocktails, but for listening at home or the office, this is good stuff.

No comments: